Php

jtaah

Reaction score
Is it easy to program in php or does it take a long time to learn it

rgd
jtaah

Avalanche

Reaction score
That question doesn't have a definite answer. In my opinion PHP is very, very, easy. Tastes differ though.

If you learn it by doing, it can be learned very quickly. It has a more than excellent documentation online, where you can search for functions, etc. and you will even see examples. (www.php.net) It took me only two hours, when I first started working with PHP to get my first script with SQL support running.

Do you have any previous programming experience? (HTML doesn't count as programming, not even as scripting) If yes, what type of?

jtaah

Reaction score
no i dont have any programming experience but i am usually quick to learn

rgds
jtaah

rickle42

Reaction score
I dont think an easier programming languauge exists. You really should try and learn MySql too as I believe its probably the most common reason for using PHP. Without incorporating a database you can still use mail() to email people and simple stuff like that. Maybe get the current time and date? I am new myself too but I had c/c++/java from school. If you know html, javascript, php, mysql you can do about anything i believe..
Short answer would be yes learn it, its easy, start with a tutorial, I would do the examples as you go..

jtaah

Reaction score
rickle24 what part do i download

Windows Binaries

PHP 5.2.4 zip package [9,702Kb] - 30 August 2007
md5: 979b8a305b028b296b97ed72322026b2

PHP 5.2.4 installer [22,002Kb] - 30 August 2007
md5: ad23dcc391a8c26c7d387eb5e9bf1ffb

PECL 5.2.4 Win32 binaries [4,363Kb] - 30 August 2007
md5: dd98dfe607ceb98e727c394d5bd679fb

PHP 5.2.4 Non-thread-safe Win32 binaries [9,608Kb] - 30 August 2007
md5: 7728b869cfe3b8b7f1751da0a298fc12

PECL 5.2.4 Non-thread-safe Win32 binaries [4,110Kb] - 30 August 2007
md5: 44302972cffd2b9cf05cb7131b56056a

A bit confused can you please hlp

rgds
jtaah

rickle42

Reaction score
You dont need to download php. It is on x10hosting's server. I thought the same thing and installed php on my computer... hehe

flinx

Reaction score
If you want to develop on your own (windows) computer, then you'd better get a full package like Wampserver

"WAMP5 installs automatically Apache 1.3.31 ,PHP5, MySQL database ,PHPmyadmin and SQLitemanager on your computer."

maikefutesi

Reaction score
its syntax looks quite like C/C++, Java (and JavaScript). So if you've ever coded one of these, it should be quite easy to start with, although there are still differences. Anyhow, even if you've never programmed, you should get the hang of it quite fast. (I recommand buying a book about it, once you're comfortable use resources found on the web).

Once you're decent with getting database stuff (you will probably be starting with MySQL, which there is so much tutorials and books about) you might feel like you know everything about the language. However, if you ever go deeper in PHP and start learning more advanced stuff like Design Patterns, Unit Testing, Refactoring, etc., you will feel like you know nothing. If you ever get serious enough to reach this stage you WILL have to buy books about these.

So in short, yeah it's quite easy to start, but if you ever want to get serious (get contracts, etc.) you will have to spend money on books and it will get hard :)

earnfx

Reaction score
if you are a programmed ... it is piece of cake ... otherwise .. :(

that's my little advice for you ..

ryoko126

Reaction score
Well there are some very easy php techniques you can learn to make your life easier.

Like the Include Statement.
First off start off any php code with <?php
Then end the code with ?> or the php won't work.

For the Include statement, just make a seperate php file somewhere and put whatever you're wanting to include (Do NOT put the whole page code, just the code you want to include). I use this for my navigation mainly. Then in each page I want the contents to show up, find the section you want it to show and put in this code.
<?php
include($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT']."/php_nav/links.php");
?>

What the $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT']." will do is automatically direct connect with the directory you index page is on. the /php_nav/links.php"); can be changed depending on where the connecting file actually is.

Just place this code in every page you want the content to show up, and when you need to change things up just edit the links.php or whatever and it will automatically update to every single page the code is in. It makes adding new links and pages SO much easier.