phpBB3 Forum help

Albel The Wicked

Reaction score
I've been trying to install a phpBB3 forum to my site for a couple hours now with no success.. I uploaded the ziped phpBB3 file to my site directly, any chance this is the problem? plz help!

(was not sure where to post this >.<)

Wizet

Reaction score
Um I think when you uploaded the forum zipped file you need to extract it.

tittat

Reaction score
Well, can you please be a little more descriptive,whats the problem that you are having,when you are about to install?

DeadBattery

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
I suggest installing phpBB3 through Fantastico.
Login to cPanel and click Fantastico (the icon is a blue smiley).
Click phpBB on the left side.
From there you can install it easily within minutes. :)

Tech_Geek

Reaction score

Yup. Fastastico is way easier than installing it manually. But what's the problem that you are having?

kkenny

Reaction score

I have to arguably disagree. I hate Fantastico. Installing with Fantastico is just waiting for your site to explode. It's so much better to install manually then installing with Fantastico, and I only suggest Fantastico, only when you have total complete no idea of what your doing.

Have you tried reading the guide on the site of phpBB? It should help quite a bit.

Last edited:

indisoft

Reaction score
there are many auto installation scrips in your cpanel.check it out

DeadBattery

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
kkenny - I agree with you. I never install anything through Fantastico anymore because I can't configure everything the way I would like to, but if someone is starting out, it's best to use Fantastico at first, then once they understand how things work, it's time to install things manually. :)

josephilipraja

Reaction score
Re: phpBB3 Forum help : The Solution

Hi.. Albel.. :cool:

Here is what I know..

from what you said.. I think you just uploaded the downloaded zip file. You were wrong. In my case I extracted them to my system, then uploaded the folder called 'phpBB3'. Be sure to name the folder properly - because it determines your link.
Actually when you extract the file all the files are stored in a folder named : 'phpBB3'
upload that folder directly. Rename it if you like (like "forum" or something)

now just goto the link:

your_site_name/the_folder_name/install/index.php

• change 'your_site_name' to your site address.
  • change 'the_folder_name' to the name of the folder you uploaded.

eg : josephilipraja.pcriot.com/phpBB3/install/index.php - sample link - does not exists.. ;)

thats it. You will get online installation page of phpBB3. Just follow what said in it. And your forum will be created!! Enjoy! :naughty:

If you encountered any more problem post here.. Please give details when you post.. Or it will be difficult to answer you properly.. :dunno:

Albel The Wicked

Reaction score
Sorry for not having been on in a little bit..

I first downloaded the phpBB3 to my system where I extracted it with winRAR.. I tried to upload the folder, but I couldn't figure out how to upload an entire folder (it just let me upload the files one by one) since I'm not that used to a hosting site like this (for my last site, everything was done through an FTP, which I tried using this time around, but the files just wouldn't upload properly) so I decided to upload the ziped file and extract it with the cp extraction tool. I followed the instructions given to me from the phpbb.com site, but I couldn't get to the install page. (I hope this gives more info into my problem. For now, I will try using Fantastico and see where things go from there)

josh123

Reaction score
i have installed everything but it just loadds with blank page with done down at the bottom