PlayStation 3 details revealed

repusmod

Reaction score
In a glitzy ceremony held at Sony's film studios here on Monday, the company released eagerly anticipated details of its upcoming PlayStation 3 and said the console would reach shelves in early 2006. Boasting a new chip touted as being as fast or faster than the most powerful personal computers on the market today, the new console is designed to be a huge step forward from today's gaming consoles, as well as a key element of a broader networked home entertainment system.

According to the company, the new console will have wireless controllers, a detachable 2.5-inch hard drive, slots for compact flash and Sony's memory stick media and a built-in Wi-Fi connection that can connect to the Playstation Portable. The core processor will run at 3.2GHz, rather than the previously reported 4GHz. The system will include USB 2.0 and gigabit Ethernet connections, and will support games made for previous generations of PlayStation systems, executives said. It will include support for up to seven controllers at once, providing much-expanded possibilities for multiplayer games. As outlined, the features provide a powerful rival to Microsoft's Xbox 360, which was unveiled last week in a closely watched MTV special.

Matt

Reaction score
dang. no info on how many bits the graphics will be?

phenetic

Reaction score
shouldnt this be in gaming chat?

ne ways ill just stick to my PSP for now ;)

repusmod

Reaction score
I don't know if this should be in gaming forums, but I know that it is a general subject...So that is, Microsoft with xBOX360 Sony with PlayStation 3, damn competition..