Pointing a subdomain to another server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Equiflux

Reaction score
Ok, I have my forums hosted on a different host, and I'm trying to point my subdomain, forums.equiflux-fx.com to this server: s15.invisionfree.com, I can't do this is cpanel, because all I can setup is a redirection and that's it. so could a staff member do this for me?

Here's some other info from my forum's host that you might need:

Make sure you have the domain pointed to s15.invisionfree.com using a CNAME record and that it is working. You should wait 24-72 hours after a DNS change before adding the domain here. You can confirm the domain is working when you receive a message saying the domain is not setup for InvisionFree.com yet.

Cynical

Reaction score
Make forums.equiflux-fx.com point to an HTML file on your site and put this javascript in it:

<script name="javascript">window.location="http://s15.invisionfree.com";</script>

That will redirect users that go to that page to s15.invisionfree.com.

Equiflux

Reaction score
That's not what I meant, that's actually the opposite of what I needed, I didn't wan't a redirection, I wanted the domain to actually point to that server, like so I can park it there. But thanks anyway.

Cynical

Reaction score
I'm not sure that invision free permits that... if you had a forum you could set up an add-on domain to point to the directory or something though...

Chris Z

Reaction score
umm, if you go into "scripts library" in cPanel, you can install ipb 1.3, why don't you just make like a backup of all the posts on your s15.invisionfree.com and upload it to the potential board on your subdomain and then just make a redirect in your admin panel at s15.invisionfree.com?

lambada

Reaction score
billybob bo buck said:
umm, if you go into "scripts library" in cPanel, you can install ipb 1.3, why don't you just make like a backup of all the posts on your s15.invisionfree.com and upload it to the potential board on your subdomain and then just make a redirect in your admin panel at s15.invisionfree.com?

EDIT: scrap that, I just found it. Odd that it is in the 'scripts library' but not in fantastico.

Last edited:

Equiflux

Reaction score
Well, I don't really feel like putting my forums on x10(no offense) because my friend who was registered here before kept losing his members and posts because you guys like reset the MySQL databses or something, so I just don't wanna go through the hassle. and besides, Invisionfree gives you unlimited bandwidth.

and anyway, then how the heck did these guys get a subdomain pointing to thier IF forums?
http://forums.ifskinzone.net/

Jordan K

[B]tags dont work:([/B]
Reaction score
You have to do this through a DNS host that supporst subdomains through them and up to 4 name servers. Nameservers to their website and nameservers to IF. You point your top-level domain to your hosting account, then park it. Then create a subdomain on your DNS host and point it to your forums on IF. Contact the IF team and ask them to park the subdomain for your to your forums (if you can't already do this yourself).

Disregard my last post, I was tired & didn't want to answer the "well..how do I do it?" question. I will not help any further than this because..my brain hurts. :crying:

Bwanana

Reaction score
I'm in the same situation. You need to add a CNAME. I don't think this can be done in cPanel.

Jordan K

[B]tags dont work:([/B]
Reaction score
Bwanana said:
I'm in the same situation. You need to add a CNAME. I don't think this can be done in cPanel.

As I recall, I am not exact-100% sure, seeing that I haven't done this in a long while. I suggest you google up some info. My way is base on about 75-80% experience and about 20-25% theory. Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.