Possible to use SMTP server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GG-Xtreme

Reaction score
Since there is an SMTP server listed in the status thread, I wanted to know if it is possible to use it for my forum new-registration activation mailer, since PHP Mail() only seems to work 5% of the time and I am already getting complaints from people who can't activate their accounts.

Last edited:

Jarryd

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
You could use the smtp mail function, most forums have a section where you can choose to use a smtp mail service instead of phpmail().

Would you like me to find out the details of the smtp server for you?

GG-Xtreme

Reaction score
Yes please, that would be great. My site is mercx.exofire.net if you need to know.

GG-Xtreme

Reaction score
Sorry, I tried that and it didn't work either. Nobody on my site (including me) gets email sent by any method to any email address. Is this a problem, or is every email provider blacklisted for safety reasons?
Edit:
Is there possible a third way of sending activation emails? My forum is expected to gain a lot of users and activating everyone manually is not a fun prospect.

Last edited:

Christopher

Retired
Reaction score
In the MyBB ACP, click on tools and maintenance, then system mail log, and post the error under Error Message if there are any.

GG-Xtreme

Reaction score
Aha!
Code:
The mail server does not understand the MAIL FROM command
Happens with SMTP server only. But does that explain why the mail doesn't get sent at all?

Edit: Also, I think that you could cover all of the support threads faster if you let us reply to other people's threads about common problems (if you strictly enforced on-topic rules and had posters lock their own solved threads).
Edit:
Edit: If none of the x10 mail methods work, can anyone recommend me an external way of having my forum send activation emails?

Last edited:

Brandon

Former Senior Account Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
Try using a gmail account with there SMTP service?

GG-Xtreme

Reaction score
Try using a gmail account with there SMTP service?
Doesn't work, Gmail requires authentication, and MyBB just sits there at 'Delivering 0%'. If I try to resend any system mail, it just stays queued forever because Gmail won't accept the connection. I'm running out of ideas, isn't there a simple fix on the server to allow it to send mail again? It used to send mail months ago, but now both the PHP mail function and the SMTP refuse to send anything.
Edit:
Nvm, it's a different problem. I'm getting the same error about the 'FROM' field, even with Gmail. The MyBB team says it's a problem with the server, not with MyBB, and marked this is a 'Bogus' bug. I don't want to sound like a moron, but this could kill my site, I'm not active enough to activate every account and I can't take the risk of instant activation (that's what killed one of my previous sites).
Edit: Should I upgrade my PHP to level 3 and try the PHP mail() again?

Last edited:

Christopher

Retired
Reaction score
PHP v3 wont make a difference.

I do remember using some email provider once where their SMTP server worked in scripts such as MyBB. Let me hunt around a bit and see if I can find it.

GG-Xtreme

Reaction score
Ok. Another thing I found weird, I uploaded a simple mail test script and all the mail was sent fine using PHP. I'm pressing the MyBB team about this, and I'll post back if their position changes. Thanks for the help.
Edit:
*Achoo*...sorry. If it's time to give this up, just tell me. But I think the fact that a test script can send email leans towards a MyBB problem.
Edit:
I don't get this! How come everyone has given up on this? Even the MyBB team couldn't help me. Is it just that my account is not allowed to send email when I'm using MyBB or something? My last 2 CMS's sent email just fine, but I can't get MyBB to send any email using either PHP mail() or any SMTP server. How come no one else has this problem with MyBB?
Edit:
OK, completely forget this. I must be going crazy, because all of a sudden me emails started getting received, and in my inbox just appeared every email I tried to send for the past 3 days with the correct date and timestamps. Sorry for wasting everyone's time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.