Program to import html or website made in Dreamweaver

afieldoutback90

Reaction score
I am making a website (using Dreamweaver 8) for someone. I wondered if there is a free editing program available that allows import of pages or a full site? This would enable others to edit or add to the site without using the more advanced Dreamweaver. I have tried the process using Net Objects Fusion (NOF), but the program doesn't import exactly the same layout without shifting things about. This causes even more problems when adding more pages and lining things up, not to mention CSS and styles to match. In NOF you can't open an HTML file by clicking the file and open with NOF - you have to start the program and import. In other words you can select an HTML file and open with Dreamweaver and it opens the file even if made elsewhere. Anyone have any suggestions? - thanks.

Last edited:

afieldoutback90

Reaction score
I have just found this post:
http://x10hosting.com/forums/scripts-3rd-party-apps-programming/35610-best-html-program.html
The poster #5 suggested the use of Kompozer. I have just downloaded it for free - http://www.kompozer.net/ (a standalone program when unzipped).

By golly gosh I think I might have found what I was looking for. I opened an HTML index page (within the site folder structure including related CSS file). It has opened the file and all the cells look the same and when previewed looks great with the styles looking correct. So unless anyone knows of any related problems then this post could close with a successful result found from a related post.

Thanks.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
The only real drawbacks with KompoZer are: (a) it doesn't integrate with the rest of the Adobe family the way Dreamweaver does (so you can't edit resources on the fly in Fireworks, Photoshop or Illustrator the way you can with Dw), but that's not likely to be a big problem; and (b) it doesn't have the collaboration features of Dw, which is only a problem if you have a large team maintaining the design and content.

Apart from that, it's a little bit rougher around the edges than Dw (as most free software is when compared to commercial products), but it's like 95% of the functionality (for most people) at 0% of the price, and it beats the rest of the free and low-cost programs into the dirt. It will handle just about any existing HTML/CSS you can throw at it, and it produces reasonably clean output itself (much better than Dreamweaver did a couple of versions ago, and nearly on par with the current version). It's a bit (okay, a lot) harder to find "for dummies" tutorials for people who can't quite figure out how to do anything they haven't been taught to do, but for anyone with any ordinary computing skills, it's easy enough to figure out. If you're turning the site maintenance over to dummies, you might need to give them a guided tour and write a quickstart guide—your call there. But it is a $400/user discount over Dw CS6, and that's worth the (very) minor irritations.

afieldoutback90

Reaction score
Yes "Essellar" that was a very good reply. You have made a great and informative summary of the situation.
Have a good day.
Thanks.

rajdeep01

Banned
Reaction score
dreamweaver doesn't care where the html came from. Just open a new dreamweaver document and cut-and-paste the existing html.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
It seems you completely missed the question here. The OP has Dreamweaver, but the site owner/maintainer does not. The problem was finding a WYSIWYG environment that could handle the HTML created in Dreamweaver that doesn't cost $400/seat (and no, "pirate Dreamweaver" is not a good answer). KompoZer fills that need.