Project No.1

barnacle

Reaction score
Would someone be so kind as to have a look at a site i'm making for a friend and tell me if i need to find a way of preloading the videos as my internet connection is real slow and i don't want any lagging but I don't want to spend forever looking at a loading bar either.

My site is pbarnacle.x10hosting.com

Also any other constuctive criticism is welcome
P.s it's no where near finished.

Cheers
Paul

delon

Banned
Reaction score
First, An intro page is a BIG NO NO. It decrease your Automated Ranking. The navigation bar does not look good. The Homepage title should say more than just HOME. The images in the flash in the homage dosnt look good. And almost every looks below average.
On the brighter side, Oh there is no brighter side of this website. Instead of Flash try building your website on PHP and HTML.

Overall Rating : 1.5 / 10, Since you made it, giving you at least one, and .5 for the Flash.

barnacle

Reaction score
Well suppose i'd better just give up and die then.
I did say it wasn't anywhere near finished still throwing ideas around.
Sorry to hear my 3d animation is rubbish, the original .mov looks really crisp and sharp can't seem to keep the quality when converting it to an .flv.
Don't think the actual buttons for the nav bar look much different from your site.
I think you might have been a little harsh since i'm new to designing/building websites never mind flash, would be helpfull if you could have said why things are crap.
Did you look at any other pages?
I know they are on seperate pages but i'm hoping to do a call function so you never leave the index page.

mrmason

Reaction score
I also think you would have more success not using the flash and starting over after you've read a few more tutorials. Don't think so big, thing more simple - that should help.

barnacle

Reaction score
I appreciate your comment but it still doesn't tell me what i'm not doing right. As I have already said it's not finished and it is my first real project on my own.

I made this website www.euro-tactical.co.uk
about 6 months ago for my old man but I had a lot of input from other people.

I would like constructive comments cos I don't really know a huge amopunt about web design.
I think i've had some good ideas, like the powerpoint-ish thing going on on the events "page" but if it's sh*t please tell me why

Thanks to the x10 hosting guys for everything
You made me get into web design (even if I am crap)

Kind regards
Paul

mrmason

Reaction score
all images look low quality.

the website is titled 'HOME,' which tells me little about it

you have actionscript errors

your body bg dosen't match your flash bg so it leaves me to think a green box is floating on your page.

if i went to your website for information, i'd have to wait through an intro

when the page loads on its own after the intro it's missing a button.