Publishing my site through third-party software

gregoryp

Reaction score
I have created a website using Dreamweaver and I want to know how to publish it onto my site. I have created an FTP account and have loaded the site and all of the files onto the site, I just cannot figure out how to publish the site. I've even tried using the FileZilla and CoreFTP prgorams to no avail. What am I doing wrong? Thank you for your help.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
If the files are up on the server in your "public_html" directory (or "www", which is an alias for the same directory), it's already "published"; there's nothing left to do. Obviously, that isn't working right now, so the question is where things might have gone wrong.

You are allowed to upload files to areas other than public_html that are referred to by files that are in your public_html directory. That prevents direct access from the web while allowing your site to use them -- it's something commonly used for configuration files that contain sensitive information like database passwords. There is a chance that you might have loaded your site to your home directory rather than to your public_html, which means that it is inaccessible from the web.

It's also possible that you left the default index.html file in place, so it is loading in preference to your index.php file (assumng you are using index.php). Remember that your landing page needs to be named either index.html or index.php, and that if both of them exist in a directory, the ".html" version has priority.

In order to be of any more help, I'd need to see the directory structure of your /home directory, and I neither have that level of access nor do I want the responsibility (and liability) that comes with that level of access, so I hope the information I've provided is enough to help you spot the problem.

gregoryp

Reaction score
Thank you so much. Your advice helped. My site is up and running now. You're a lifesaver!

If the files are up on the server in your "public_html" directory (or "www", which is an alias for the same directory), it's already "published"; there's nothing left to do. Obviously, that isn't working right now, so the question is where things might have gone wrong.

You are allowed to upload files to areas other than public_html that are referred to by files that are in your public_html directory. That prevents direct access from the web while allowing your site to use them -- it's something commonly used for configuration files that contain sensitive information like database passwords. There is a chance that you might have loaded your site to your home directory rather than to your public_html, which means that it is inaccessible from the web.

It's also possible that you left the default index.html file in place, so it is loading in preference to your index.php file (assumng you are using index.php). Remember that your landing page needs to be named either index.html or index.php, and that if both of them exist in a directory, the ".html" version has priority.

In order to be of any more help, I'd need to see the directory structure of your /home directory, and I neither have that level of access nor do I want the responsibility (and liability) that comes with that level of access, so I hope the information I've provided is enough to help you spot the problem.

azhikots

Reaction score
ahm, i was just a beginner and i was hoping you can answer my question..
how can i publish an index.html that was made from Adobe Dreamweaver?
where can i see the public_html/ directory?
please do reply with my question..thanks.