Question about ads on web pages for the FREE web hosting plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

mygalleries

Reaction score
Hi,

On the Ads's FAQ page, it states the following:

Do I have to place the ads on every page?
Yes, there is no exception to this. EVERY PAGE, this includes forums.

I currently have the static plan, awaiting for the FREE x10Advanced plan to be approved (request posted to the forum yesterday).

X10hosting ads:

Well my concern is that I have a photo gallery for family & friends pictures that I am planning to upload to my x10hosting web site once my FREE x10Advanced plan is approved and activated. The photo gallery pages are generated by a program called "Galerie" (Mac OS X) by Myriad Software. They totalled 1,509 html files for the thumnails and pictures pages!! The size of the html and jpeg files are about 200MB.

Now you can see where my problem is... how can I add the x10hosting mandatory ad code to 1,509 individual html pages? I lilke the layout and look of my Galerie's generated pages and will not or intent to use another program (ie: php-based photo gallery program) to create my photo gallery.

Are there any exceptions at all to the ad policy??? I don't have any problems inserting the x10hosting ad code into my site's main html file, guestbook, forum and photo gallery thumbnail index page but to put the ad code into the rest of my 1,508 photo gallery html files would be not practicable at all!!

I currently have a webspace with E2Uhosting.com and they DO NOT require FREE web hosting users to manually add the ad code into every single web page. The ads are inserted cleverly and automatically to the top of every pages hosted on their servers (even to my php-based guestbook and forum pages).

I really want to give x10hosting a try since my account at E2Uhosting has been down a lot lately since I joined only 2 weeks ago. I don't want my FREE web hosting account to be suspended due to the sole fact that I will not have ads inserted into every single page of my site. But unless something will be done or the ad policy changed for the FREE x10hosting accounts, I will just stick with E2Uhosting and hope that overtime, their service will improve.

Thanks for the FREE service so far and hope it will improve for the better of all parties involved.

Regards,
- MyGalleries
mygalleries.x10hosting.com

SadistBlue

Reaction score
With that many pictures, in blunt honesty your crazy not using php. Also it isn't a matter of being added 'cleverly', it's the idea the server knows we intend on using php portals, and automatically adding ads messes a lot of things up for the rest of us.

To help with the situation.. can you possible use an iframe to keep the banner loaded? Then keep the gallery in a second frame?

Last edited:

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
We do not automatically insert the ad because we have found that it can do more damage to themes and templates then letting the user insert it where it is going to work correctly. There should be a way or a file you can insert the ad code in that will generate it for all your pages instead of having to ad it to all the pages manually.

In php this is done by adding it to the overall_header.tpl file.

mygalleries

Reaction score
bigguy said:
We do not automatically insert the ad because we have found that it can do more damage to themes and templates then letting the user insert it where it is going to work correctly. There should be a way or a file you can insert the ad code in that will generate it for all your pages instead of having to ad it to all the pages manually.

In php this is done by adding it to the overall_header.tpl file.

Actually E2Uhosting has a new way now - you can "customize" your text ad so one can insert the ad in a specific location of your html or php file.

Maybe I will try to use an Iframe to load the ad and a second one to show the content of my pages. In that way I can add the ad to a single file and the rest of my pages should be able to show the ad correctly.

BTW, do you guys have a free PHP-based photo gallery to recommend (preferrably with themes)?

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited:

SadistBlue

Reaction score
If your using a PHP-Nuke portal, I believe there is a gallery module for it, guessing you don't. So besides that I think fantastico has 2 available in it.

Last edited:

Akkarin

Reaction score
There is coppermine, can be found in cpanel > Fantastico. There are others aswell.

mygalleries

Reaction score
Akkarin said:
There is coppermine, can be found in cpanel > Fantastico. There are others aswell.

Hi, thanks Akkarin!!

Well I installed Coppermine on my account. I am currently configuring my Albums and was wondering if there's a way to do a mass upload to an Album. The upload facility provided by Coppermine only allow you to upload a max of 5 files at a time.

Anyone know if there's a folder I can create within Coppermine's folder structure that I can upload my pictures to an album? I have around 300+ pics in one of my albums (for my 3yo son) :)

Any help are appreciated. Thanks!!

- MyGalleries
mygalleries.x10hosting.com

mygalleries

Reaction score
Sorry guys... I just figured it out::stupid:.... doh!!! :)

From Coppermine 1.3.4 documentation:

4.7 Uploading pics by FTP / Batch-Add Pictures

It's recommended that the coppermine admin uses ftp to upload many pics in one go. Use your ftp software to create sub-folders within your_coppermine_directory/albums/, where your ftp uploads can go to. It's a good idea to have a folder structure within the albums folder that reflects your coppermine categories and albums, but it's not mandatory.
Important: do not create folders or upload to the userpics- nor the edit-folder by ftp: these folders are used by coppermine internally and mustn't be used for any other purpose! Folder names mustn't contain dots and it's even recommended not to use any special chars - only use a-z, numbers and maybe - or _. Make sure to upload in binary or auto-mode.

Once you have uploaded your photos by ftp, click on the Batch Add Pictures button. The batch-add is done in three steps:

• find the directory under which you have uploaded your photos. Select this directory by clicking on it.
  • select the photos you wish to upload (by ticking them, the new pics are pre-selected, those that already are in your coppermine database are not selected) and the album you wish to insert them into. Click "Insert Selected Pictures" to start the batch-add process.
  • CPG will then display the results of the batch-add (allow some time untill all results are being shown).
    If the OK, DP, PB 'signs' does not appear click on the broken file to see any error message produced by PHP.
    If your browser times out, hit the reload button.
    • OK : means that the file was succesfully added
    • DP : means that the file is a duplicate and is already in the database
    • PB : means that the file could not be added, check your configuration and the permission of directories where the files are located
    • NA : means that you haven't selected an album the files should go to, hit 'back' and select an album. If you don't have an album create one first
Giving FTP-access to other users is a serious security threat, that's why batch-add is only available for the coppermine gallery admin.

Once files have been added to coppermine's database, make sure not to rename or delete them by ftp - use coppermine's admin menu to remove files instead, since this way they will be removed both from the file system and the database.

Status
Not open for further replies.