Question about new accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

danieldawson1315

Reaction score
Sorry about the non-description topic title, but it's kinda complicated. o_O

To start off with, I had an account here years ago under the email address danieldawson13@yahoo.com. It got deleted due to inactivity. I'm now ready to go back and edit the website I had, so I've created a new account under the email busterthefox@yahoo.com. This forum account was the one I made years ago with my old Free Hosting account, but I've updated all of my info in my profile, including my new email address.

Anyway, I was pretty confused for whatever reason when I came back to make a new account, and I ended up putting in my old email, I guess to see if it would still work. But I later decided to just use my new email. My new account is awaiting approval for underdog.x10.mx right now and everything seems golden, but at the same time, I think it tried to create an account for my old email address when I tried to login with it.

Hopefully I've kept it rather simple so far, but I have a couple of questions with those in mind:
1. If I leave the account under my old email address get deleted if I leave it alone? I set it up under bustertf.x10.mx for now, but I haven't hit the "register" button (right now when I login, it takes me to a page that asks me for a username and URL and it says something like, "Thanks, that's all we needed from you").
2. Is there any way I can change this forum account's username? If not, is it possible to delete this account and create a new one?

I'm aware that I'm not supposed to have two accounts, but I assure you I wasn't trying to register two accounts. When I first came here, I got an error message about being behind a proxy when I wasn't, but that seems to have fixed itself. I've also tried registering a new forum account, but it gives me an error message that's basically accusing me of being a spammer. O_O;

Also, I've been searching for some kind of Rules, but I'm having a hard time finding them other than the ToS when I registered my account (about not having warez on your site and stuff). Maybe I'm not looking in the right places. Can anyone point me to them so I don't make any stupid mistakes? >_< Thanks a lot in advance. I know I'm asking a lot of questions here. I've probably already gotten myself in trouble... Anti-Lol...

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
The ToS (and the linked Acceptable Use Policy) are about it, really. No warez, hacking (in the "unauthorized access or use" sense), copyright infringement, phishing or spammage allowed, and the "adult content" umbrella is pretty broad, so keep it more-or-less work-safe and PG. File storage isn't permitted, so you can't use your space for backups, etc. Gallery space is restricted to 1GB even if you otherwise qualify for unmetered space. (A new account will initially be space-limited, and will only be promoted to unmetered if you're using more than half of your allowance and are in compliance with the ToS and AUP.) Other than that, if the site you create can run within the bounds of the technical restrictions (64MB of RAM for PHP scripts and 300 core-seconds per hour maximum), you're golden. (Well, except that anything running on the ragged edge is probably going to see a lot of conflict with other sites on the same server.)

Honestly, the multiple-accounts thing isn't policed very closely unless you're abusing the system otherwise (different email addresses and dynamically-assigned IP addresses make it hard to automate catching people, but abusive accounts tend to have easily-recognised patterns of use). Even if an account is successfully created, just leaving it alone (never logging in to the account panel) will eventually get it deleted automatically; there's no need to do anything special. Use whichever account makes the most sense to you and let the other die.

For a lot of technical reasons, changing forum user names is a bear of a manual process, so it almost never happens. (If the system generates one of those truncated names-with-numbers dealies that is embarrassing or profane, you'll get a change; otherwise probably not. You're stuck with misspellings or poorly-chosen handles from a misspent and reckless youth.) Forum users are never deleted since they're linked to permissions (and bans) all over the system.

So, with all of that in mind, choose the account you want to use, relax, and enjoy your time here.

Status
Not open for further replies.