Rate my computer!

intertec

Reaction score
I just got this new computer for under $1000. Not including monitor and keyboard. I already got those accessories!

CPU= Intel Q6600 Quad processor

Motherboard= EVGA nForce 750i SLI FTW Motherboard

Graphic card= EVGA GeForce 8800 GT Video Card ( I'm got two of them since I'm running sli)

Memory= Corsair Dual Channel TWINX 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz

Hard Drive= Samsung SATA 640GB

Case= Thermaltake Soprano RS101 Black Mid-Tower ATX Case with Clear Side

PSU= Famous Brand 700-Watt Power Supply - SLI-Ready, Dual 80mm Fan

CD drive= 20x SATA Samsung

Please tell me what you think! Would I be able to run new games and is the quad processor good for adobe programs like photoshop cs3 since I do web design!

nexhunter

Reaction score
That rig set up is good, if your ever gonna upgrade your cpu make sure you go with the new 45nm processors as they have increased performance and generates less heat. Going with quad core is a good decision since adobe products take advantage of all the available core's instead of just using only 2 cores.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
That's a good system configuration. The Quad Core CPU is certainly a future proof device when the Dual Cores get obselete. My Quad Core CPU from Intel in my gaming computer has already outperformed the highest Dual core CPU on stock. The video card will give you enough room for a while as well, as it handles Crysis pretty good as well.

GG-Xtreme

Reaction score
Value: 9/10
Speed - Applications: 9/10
Speed - Multi-tasking: 10/10
Speed - Gaming*: 8/10
Choice of Parts**: 8/10

*10/10 being Cryis, Very High, average minimum FPS=30. If you SLI, this will jump up to 9/10.
**I wouldn't have spent any money on a multi-GPU motherboard, and would have gotten a faster single-card solution such as a Gigabyte Intel motherboard and a Radeon 4870.

Overall: 9/10
Conclusion: Kicks my Pentium 4 rig's arse.

intertec

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I only got two gpu because they were only $132 each and that's really cheap. I asked my dad about upgrading my cpu to a 45nm processor and he said he will pay half of it. So in two weeks, I'll have a better cpu. I was going to overclock my cpu but then I found out I should upgrade so I have left it at stock for now!

Nathan H

Reaction score
Don't we all wish for parents like this?

Still good for all the good games (I don't class Crysis as one of them played to death and not a good story anyway)

allinone

Reaction score
you have great configuration i will give you 8 out of 10, 1 point less for cd drive(it should be dvd) and 1 point less for ram......you can go for 4 gb

alexandgruntz

Reaction score
It would be a DVD drive - I haven't seen any CD only drives for sale recently, especially not SATA ones.

Nathan H

Reaction score
You can get a DVD-RAM drive for about £15 now, (thats how much mine cost me anyway) try going for one of those as soon as you can. different places also offer 5.1 surround sound for about £25, definately a worthwhile upgrade

ramj1

Reaction score
*ramj1 wishes he had a computer like that

Last edited:

jaco_don

Reaction score
Well good Config .. I give it 8/10 ... as the price factor I think its bit costly ... probably it would be different ..in other places

Last edited:

jhnrk

Reaction score
My brother bought similar rig last christmas.
Q6600 is pretty good CPU if it's with G0-stepping.
I would have recommended the new 45nm lineup (Q9300..)as it performs better per Ghz and generates less heat - which means less noise in practice.

GF8800 GT and variations are ok, but Radeon 4850 and 4870 are better performers with reasonable price tag.

Ram MHz doesn't really matter so much, diffrences between so called high-performance rams and standard stuff, is like some milliseconds faster application loadtimes in normal use. I recommend that you just buy it as much you can.
For example, if target is to get 4gb ram, using 2*2gb modules insted of 4*1gb is fater and leaves space for upgrade.

And when it comes to HDD, I would choose anything with big cache (16 or 32mb), and íf performance is what you're after, go with two HDD RAID 0+1 or Western Digital VelociRaptor :)
Anyway, HDD is the slowest part in every PC using such thing, and it limits the overall speed in basic use (loadtimes, windows bootup, copying etc.)

Hmmph... This post is more like general tips for ppl thinking about new system than actually rate the thread starters system :p

Nathan H

Reaction score
Ram MHz doesn't really matter so much, diffrences between so called high-performance rams and standard stuff, is like some milliseconds faster application loadtimes in normal use. I recommend that you just buy it as much you can.
For example, if target is to get 4gb ram, using 2*2gb modules insted of 4*1gb is fater and leaves space for upgrade.
Actually the 4*1GB would be faster for resource intensive applications that are small because there are twice as many channels to read/write from but for programs larger than a gig what you say is true.