Real Life Painting Help (this seemed like the best shot at getting help)

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Not really sure if there _is_ a spot for this, just kinda hoping that since it's the Graphics forum someone'll have either tried what I'm asking about, or will know what needs to be done.

K, short prequel - I'm building an arcade style joystick setup similar to the Dual Joystick from x-arcade.

I wanted to put some fancy graphic on the top side of it around the buttons and stuff - this is where the problem is.

My idea is to buy pc sticker paper and run it through a color printer, then stick that to the base painted surface (probably gunna paint it black). I planned to follow that up with a clear coat to give it a shiny finish, but also to cover the decal to stop it from lifting. Hoping a minor side-effect of that MIGHT be that it'd actually feel mostly flat when running your hand over the top.

Heres the question: Will that actually work? Sticking what essentially is a giant sticker to the top of the thing, then covering it with a clear coat so it doesn't peel? I'm thinking it would, but then again I've never done anything similar in the past short of waterslide decals for cars, but if you catch them with your finger it peels right off - I DO NOT WANT THE STICKER PEELING OFF. The sticker paper I'm looking at isn't cheap, and given the printer its gunna go through, neither is the ink for the color cartridge >_<

Edit: If you happen to feel this is in the wrong forum, go ahead and report it as being in the wrong forum. I've honestly got no idea where the best place is to put this, but since it's graphics related, I was thinking here.

Last edited:

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Its worth a shot, was kinda hoping my first post wouldn't be a newbie help question though :p

If all else fails I'll just try it and report back on what happened. I don't think it'll be a problem with getting it to work, just wanted to know before I did it :)

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Worth a shot, only issue I can see that might be a problem is it's not just a custom skin for a console, it's a custom skin for a custom built box >_<

Still worth a shot, I'll fire off an email after I get back from my errands and see what they say :) Thanks!

(sent 50 creds whether it works or not, cause it's as good as anywhere to start)

Last edited: