{REQ} Science Fair Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

SEÑOR

The Guy Everyone Hates
Reaction score
So I have a science fair soon and need some ideas. Not volcano. I need something reasonable but good.

10 points per each decent idea.

EDIT: GRADE 8 Science Fair, And neeed details for each idea.

Last edited:

acidburn0520

Reaction score
What grade level science fair? If you're looking for something simple, you can try demonstrating the salinity required to make things buoyant.

swirly

Reaction score
mentos and coke. why does it do what it does? psshtt easiest one right here senor. and id be willing to help, on the count i just saw a mythbuster episode on it :p. can you do it outside? but i remember alot of the show i saw and you can prolly find it on the net...let me know if you help! with science i mean.

SEÑOR

The Guy Everyone Hates
Reaction score
swirly said:
mentos and coke. why does it do what it does? psshtt easiest one right here senor. and id be willing to help, on the count i just saw a mythbuster episode on it :p. can you do it outside? but i remember alot of the show i saw and you can prolly find it on the net...let me know if you help! with science i mean.

I thought of that as my first thing lol.

But I need like what am i testing?

I neeed a purpose. And how will it help some one in the world.

swirly

Reaction score
how it will help someone idk...maybe filling alot of glasses at once? having alot of fun?. but what your testing? thats easy. why does it do it? if you take regular mentos, it has millions of little pits on the surface. when it is dropped in the coke the carbonation (co2), caffiene, (something else i cant recall, hadnt heard of it before lol) causes nucleation to occur in these pits. (i.e. a bubble forms, and rises. with millions of little bubble forming at once, this causes it to fizz. then it shoots out yadda yadda.

SEÑOR

The Guy Everyone Hates
Reaction score
Id have to find every substance in the mentos and diet coke that makes it do this.

Last edited:

swirly

Reaction score
ok
lets see if i can remember.

soda
caffine, CO2, potassium benzoate, and aspartame

mentos
gum arabic, gelatin, nucleation sites

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCS3BmKVHGA <- found the episode on youtube :) watch it. explains everything. search on youtube it might have better version of the episode.

SEÑOR

The Guy Everyone Hates
Reaction score
Maybe it would be better if i compared like diet coke diet pepsi and somehtign and see how high they went?

swirly

Reaction score
yeah that could do it. did i give you wat you needed pretty much tho? lemme know if you need anything else!

SEÑOR

The Guy Everyone Hates
Reaction score
Im not sures its gotta be more scientific. How woul I measure height? Maybe like theres an example of putting plants under different color lights. So somehting is changing. I neeed something like that.

alphaterminal

Reaction score
Señor, what about an egg drop?

Note: Although I'm going to give you a general overview, you should also do research on mainly:
- How to reduce the impact?

I would say that's most important, but research all the things for details.

Title: Egg Drop Protection (NOT BOILED EGG!)
Purpose: Design a protective case so a FRESH egg, that means not boiled, would not break falling off x height. (x, here is a variable)

Important Points to Keep in Mind:
- Measure the height the egg is falling from. This, you can just go by stories, as in a building.
- Measure the weight of your protective gear and the fresh egg itself
- Design something that would be soft so the egg won't break. Have the egg inside it with any soft cushioning materials.
- Also, don't use a parachute.

Other pointer that are not as important in relation to your grade:
- Try to design it to drop slowly too! Every seen a paper fall?

Physics hint: I know you haven't taken physics, but here's an important hint: If you prolong the time on which the impact and force are active, the force/impact becomes smaller. For example, try jumping from something and landing without bending your legs AT ALL. It'll hurt. Now try again, but now bend your legs, but slowly (not real slow). You'll see that you don't feel that much pain. Keep this in mind when designing the case.

This is a stupid question, but what are the points for?

Last edited:

apple19

Reaction score
lol...........im with senor on this project.....our first idea was metos and coke......our teacher said it was not a valid topic because it doesnt prove anything nor does it help anyone in any way in life. Thanks for everyones help.....keep the ideas comign....Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.