review my site please!!!

jswim

Reaction score
my website is < jhsswimming.elementfx.com > it would be great if u could help me out here. For me to graduate from highschool i have to do a thing called a "senior project" and i decided to make a website for the swim team at my school. if u have any suggestions to make it better please let me know!

Thanks!!

ShadowFlame98

Reaction score
Its a nice basic site but it really isn't anything fancy, gets the job done I would say. I'm not too sure what you can do with the site since it is for a school project but I'm guessing the background is probably your school's color.

One thing is you built the website with frames... one of the oldest tricks in the book on building a website and its not very popular now days... if you want to make a more modern website you should of used Tables and CSS at least or forget HTML all together since its growing more old every year, plus I think websites need something a little more then just text headers, there plain... graphics like text banners that blend in with the site. But then again if your school likes it then I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
I've got one. Front page, you've got that swimming poster.

That's all fine and good, but I couldn't figure out why it was loading slowly when I can download at 600kb/sec (thats kilobytes, not kilobits - pretty damn fast, which means it shouldn't have any problems with images).

I found the reason why.

1917.73 KB (1963752 bytes) - this is a 2 megabyte image.
3264px - this is the images width
2176px - this is the images height.

516px - this is how wide you have it set to on the actual page
344px - this is how tall you have it set to on the actual page.

So basically you're having all your viewers load a 2mb image that is well beyond the range of screen resolutions you normally see, but you're also telling them to display it at 516x344.

My recommendation to fix that is to resize the image down to 516x344, and use that - not only will anyone on less-than-broadband speeds love you for not making them load such a huge image, but you won't suck up 2mb of bandwidth every time someone loads that image.

Open it up in paint, photoshop, paint shop pro, pretty much any graphics editor and scale it down some. 2mb images just don't go on webpages.

Do the same for your pictures on other parts of the site; I just opened a random one and it's a staggering 1.5mb that displays at about 275x206, but is actually 2304x1728 - the art of rescaling can help reduce the amount of bandwidth you're wasting on those photo pages.

Honestly, you can have the big images, but don't have them load like that on the main pages - have the user click a scaled down thumbnail, and have that actually load the image. At least then you're not wasting much bandwidth per page.

At a rough estimate, the mens swimming team photo page is using up about 5mb of bandwidth to load. Again, if anyone's on anyhting other than broadband, this page would take years to load - some of these pictures rival the size of mp3's :(

Loneua Technologies

Reaction score
It takes a bit long to load,

Thats because you have an image that is 2mb big.

I would try to fix the text at the top,

not a big fan of that.

Otherwise I think it is a very Good Site.