Self-Sacrifice

pietimer

Reaction score
So I was reading this article and there are a lot of insect colonies where one will sacrifice their life for the greater good, but this is somewhat rare for humans. Would you be willing to give up your life for family, community, the "greater good"? Where do you draw the line on what is worth sacrificing for and what isn't?

rlodge

Reaction score
For my family....Definitely.

Community.....Definite Maybe.

Greater Good? What greater good? (I should also tell you that I am very much an "anti-social" type so people in general don't interest me at all.)

I served 20+ years in the US Army and, thankfully, I didn't have to make the "Ultimate Sacrifice", it was always understood that if the need arose, I would. Mission First.

Dazz

Reaction score
Yes totally, for my family, friends or even a stranger in trouble

This has been something I've always done but cannot explain why, maybe I'm sick of life :biggrin:

Last edited:

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
I would for friends, family, even for a stranger if an opportunity presents itself (like a burning car). If I had time to think about it, then it would make it much harder.

Last edited:

John Klyne

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Self Sacrifice.....

Some people don't have a family and would do anything for anyone else to be able to preserve their family. If I did not just create my own family I would not mind having sacrificed myself for another person to still have theirs.

Would I sacrifice myself for another person, or the community....yes. I would, just like the tens of thousands of soldiers who fight in wars every day, trying to protect not only their own home with their own family but entire countries.

If a person would not sacrifice themselves for everyone else....not sure what kind of person, that person would be...( i was using the thought of an atomic war in the world or something like War of The worlds with aliens and all that other stuff ( lol ).

scottnj

Reaction score
I would definitely risk my life for my family. And I do plan on joining the Air Force to serve my community/country. But as for 'Greater Good,' that would come on a case-by-case basis as that is not well defined.

naerey

Reaction score
Sacrifce...
Personally I don't believe in sacrifice, I believe that there's always some way to accomplish good without having to loose everything (that is, life).
Every situation has more than one way of exit.
And if one really hasn't, I'm not sure I'd sacrifice, since my philosophy says I might be of more use alive then dead, maybe for a bigger/better sacrifice.
You can't do any good when you're dead!!!
(call me egoist, but that's how I see life... )

cased

Reaction score
So I was reading this article and there are a lot of insect colonies where one will sacrifice their life for the greater good, but this is somewhat rare for humans. Would you be willing to give up your life for family, community, the "greater good"? Where do you draw the line on what is worth sacrificing for and what isn't?

I would sacrifice myself for my family definitely. I don't know about anymore than that. It depends on the situation and it also depends on how my sacrifice would ultimately affect my family. Basically it all comes down to my family. If it's not good for my family, I won't do it. Nothing else matters.

Now does that mean I would not give my life for a stranger? Not at all because this could still benefit my family. It could set an example for my children on how to be a good and caring person and it could bring great honor to my family to be a hero. Also by sacrificing myself for a stranger, the act could be contagious. Perhaps one day, my action would spur a stranger to action and they would sacrifice themselves for my family.

unlikely

Reaction score

There was a long period of my life where that answer, for me, would have been undoubtably yes. Anybody who needed me to lean over the hot coals to save them a little unjust pain, heartache or even their lives.. I would jump to do it in a heartbeat.

However, I have children now. I am their sole protector and provider. I am here for a purpose and to sacrifice myself would be sacrificing a part of themselves and a critical part of their growth, development and well being.

Jeremia0

Reaction score
No. You are the only reason you exist, when you sacrifice yourself you are gone. That means that whatever good you do, you still have not benefited yourself, and you never will.

adamlinux

Reaction score
I draw the line outside of anyone who isn't close to me. I would sacrifice myself for family and friends, but I'm not sure after that. I guess I would like to say that I would risk my life to save a child as well, but as for just a strange person walking down the street, I don't think I will truly know until it happens, but for now I say, probably not.

MuRRe

Reaction score
Self-sacrifice comes in so many different ways.
If you mean to give your life, well I wouldn't do it to save people I didn't know.
My brother, YEAH. My GF, most defenetely (misspelled I know).

Other than that I have realised that the only person I can trust 100% is myself, and because of that I have to do whats best for me.

ashhhevil

Reaction score
I wouldn't kill myself for anyone. But I'm totally cool with killing myself if it doesn't harm or help anyone.

MarioMaster

Reaction score
No. You are the only reason you exist, when you sacrifice yourself you are gone. That means that whatever good you do, you still have not benefited yourself, and you never will.

Yes, but you have done [insert person you're helping here] a lot!
I'd rather not think about life-and-death situations right now. I'm going through very emotionally tough times right now with school, people, and myself in general.

alcramer

Reaction score
In my experience, most people are quite willing to risk their lives to save something they really care about. People are always running back into burning buildings to save their cats or dogs. If they have kids, they won't even leave in the first place unless they know their children are out. Where it gets tricky is when some political leader decides you're supposed to die and/or kill other people.

idontkno

Reaction score
I wouldn't, simply because it involves killing myself. I don't see the point of suicide even if you saved someone.

compass

Reaction score
I assume by this question that there is the belief of certain death before taking action.

Yes, definitely for my children.
Also for my wife.

Appart from that, no, not until my children are grown-up. My principle is that my first duty is to them, so I need to be around.

After that, maybe I would for the sake of much younger people/children even if strangers.

If the question does not refer to self-sacrifice as in "action taken with the belief it would bring certain death" then it's not really much of a debate...

rebellion

Reaction score
Family: yes
Community: Not my community. Meh, take them not me. They all hate me.
This kind of thing really makes you think. I can't just say the greater good. It depends. The greater good can mean many things....

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I think it's very objective. It definitely depends on the situation and the tensions of that situation. I definitely would for my family or a close friend. As far as saving someone's life, it would depend on the situation. I'm not saying that I wouldn't try to save someone, but if it were highly likely that both were to die, why let both die when one can live?

What do you mean "greater good?"

Last edited:

loveispoison

Banned
Reaction score
I'd probably go for the 'sacrifice'. for my family , and for the world maybe not sure
it also strikes me as the honourable thing to do - which matters a lot to me