Server Experimental

Joker Boy

Reaction score
I am interested in being able to host websites like x10 does. I'm not going into the bussiness or anything, just experimenting with it, seeing as summer break has just started and I have nothing to do and crave knowledge of hardware (yes, it's true I've mastered software :p)

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!!

Ps. I am running Vista Home Premium Edition (I think)

Once more, thank you all!!!

Brandon

Former Senior Account Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
This might be against your ISP's TOS, please consult that before starting anything.

dest581

Reaction score
He meant that if you wanted to have websites accessible from the web running on your computer, it might break the Terms of Service you agreed to with your Internet Service Provider. Many ISPs don't allow it for any home (non-business) plans.

What exactly do you want to do?
a) Run a testing website that only you can see, for practicing with scripting languages
b) Running a website accessible from the internet
c) Running multiple websites (run by multiple people) accessible from the internet
d) Other :p

jsobeck

Reaction score
I've found most ISP's (such as mine, Roadrunner) don't care if you are doing some very light usage - testing and stuff. What I would do (and this is what I've done) is find some old computer - 500MHz and 256 RAM will do more than enough for this - and stick Linux on it, I personally recommend Debian or Fedora Core.

However, because you called your ISP, they may have "flagged" your account, so start small, perhaps just on a home network (and that may be all you need). If you want any more help, feel free to email/PM me.

Joker Boy

Reaction score
He meant that if you wanted to have websites accessible from the web running on your computer, it might break the Terms of Service you agreed to with your Internet Service Provider. Many ISPs don't allow it for any home (non-business) plans.

What exactly do you want to do?
a) Run a testing website that only you can see, for practicing with scripting languages
b) Running a website accessible from the internet
c) Running multiple websites (run by multiple people) accessible from the internet
d) Other :p

B with some modifications

Thanks for all the help. I have fedora core running as a VM and it's my favorite Linux program. I have an old machine I may use. As far as my ISP goes, they said that as long as I wasn't using it for business purposes there would be no fee.

EDIT: I got WAMP5 and all the services are up and running, but how do I actually get the site on the web? And as for a domain name...?

Last edited:

Joker Boy

Reaction score
What folder will be accessible on the web? the www folder doesn't come up when you enter my IP address...

Micro

Retired staff <i> (11-12-2008)</I>
Reaction score
Using WAMP? It binds to PORT 80 and all addresses by default, just try

http://localhost/

Domain name you will have to use DYNDNS.org or if you have a static IP, set your IP address as the A record for your doimain in your domain registrars

Joker Boy

Reaction score
Thanks for the localhost help, and as for a domain name could I just register a site with godaddy.com and have it redirect to my IP address? would that work?

EDIT: I still can't find the folder to upload/move the files to that I want to be on the web! I took scrn shots of the list of available folders.

Last edited:

Christopher

Retired
Reaction score
If your computer is connected directly to the internet you can do that. If you have a router you will have to setup port forwarding or DMZ. Instructions on that can be found at http://portforward.com/routers.htm

Put files in the www folder.

Last edited:

Joker Boy

Reaction score
uggh... I have a router but I REALLLY don't want to purchase any programs online, I'd much rather buy some hardware. A direct connection would just be plugging in rather than wireless, yes?

EDIT: Is there any way to configure the ports manually?

Last edited:

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
?

Purchase software? That's one I've never heard of actually.

Find your routers make/model on the site chougard posted; if I'm not mistaken it'll probably have you configure it via http (something like http://192.168.1.1 in my case). The program you're likely talking about is actually just an advertisement (the one that says "Click here to port forward automatically with PFConfig"? Ad. Not needed unless you'd like to make things a bit simpler while simultaneously making your wallet fit in your pocket better by spending some moola).

Once you've found your router in the list and clicked on it, find the H group and select http. Follow the directions from there.

If you're still having trouble, post your make/model here; there may be better directions elsewhere (for the most part that site has the best directions, but it's not out of the world to assume the directions might be out-dated)

Edit: And assuming my directions didn't say it, yes you can configure them manually :) I do it all the time, mostly cause I prefer to have it send unauthorized traffic right back at my pc :)

Last edited:

Joker Boy

Reaction score
Alright I followed the instructions on getting a static IP and it worked, now all I have to do is redirect the ports. Is http://192.168.1.1 your IP as well? When I typed it in it came up with my (I'm guessing, because it had my last name on it XD) household's router.

Christopher

Retired
Reaction score
It is probably that. Mine is 192.168.0.1, but they are different between companies and models.

Joker Boy

Reaction score
Alright I've got it all up and running and am hosting my own site, the only problem is that I am behind a NAT router (my IP starts with 192.168) and so it is a private connection only (only the computers on my network can view it)

WHEN WILL THIS EVER END?!?!?!?!

IS THERE A WAY AROUND THIS??

thanks!!!!

Joker Boy

Reaction score
Hmmm... I am sure the router is connectly directed to the internet modem, at least as far as I can tell it is. Where else would it possibly be connected?

Yes, I set up port forwarding as well as a static IP address on this computer and forwarded the ports to the router (ports 80 and 443, for apache)

That IP address doesn't take you to my localhost, it just gets a page loading error (which means somehow something of mine is set up wrong). I used every guide I could find on portforward.com, and yes i am sure that my router is a WRT54G, I just checked it again to be sure.

MY COMPUTER HATES ME!!