Setting up FTP on an unmanaged VPS.

flutter3

Reaction score
So I've installed vsftpd/ftp and created .chroot_list, but I can't seem to access it via FileZilla.
Note, I HAVE installed a full lamp stack and I have checked it. It is working perfectly fine. I just can't seem to get the FTP working right now...

I've looked at plenty of tutorials. Followed them all, and it only seems like the FTP refuses to work.

Also, when I route my domain name from GoDaddy to the VPS. Is there any better solution then just forwarding with masking? Which sucks.
Because the VPS control panel doesn't specify any DNS nameservers.

I *did* however add a hostname. Which is the same as my hostname on my vps (server.chriscates.ca)

Thanks if you reply, Chris

Skizzerz

Contributors
Staff member
Contributors
Reaction score
FTP: Without actually posting your configuration, it'll be pretty much impossible for anyone else to assist you with this. Also, check the log files in /var/log to see if there are error messages preventing vsftpd from starting/working.

DNS: Correct, unmanaged VPSes do not come with nameservers, so you will either have to use nameservers hosted elsewhere or install your own. If you opt for nameservers hosted elsewhere, create an A record pointing your domain to your VPS IP address.