Site Review requested .. terrible vs ok?

MISTERW

Reaction score
I am designing several sites for my video projects. If you wouldn't mind reviewing one of them, it would be greatly appreciated.
http://www.gullyjewelz.com

I wouldnt be mad at all if you gave me your opinion of my own video project:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C06WIGAoZzs

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
You really ought to find another way. 200 HTTP requests and over a minute to load and render (the whole page is loaded via JavaScript) on a not-too-terribly-slow connection is absolutely unacceptable for a web page. For a web application, something that the user can use to accomplish work (a document/photo editor, spreadsheet, email client, etc.) you'd have to be offering an awful lot of features to make it worthwhile waiting. For a web page, it earns you a back button -- especially when the CPU gets pegged, the fan turns up to take-off speed and nothing much is happening except that the refresh icon keeps flashing. And I don't even have Flash enabled until I know the site looks safe enough to try, so I'm spared the overhead and loads that come from all of the various players that are embedded.

This page, even if it is largely dynamic, can be assembled at the server in milliseconds, and should load and render within a second or two (though a couple of larger images might take an extra few seconds after the rest of the page has rendered). There's nothing special (other than waiting for the silly social widgets and Google Analytics, which always take longer than anyone would like) that should make the page a wait-and-see experience. Backbone.js? For what? There is no need to use MVC when the page isn't an application.

I understand that much of this might result from the environment you're using, but it's all so very wrong on so very many levels.

theneale

Reaction score
For my taste the front page has far too much going on and as essellar notes takes a long time to load (about 20 seconds here with a typical download speed of 12Mbps). Many users (myself included) find automatic loading of a video clip with audio intrusive too. Probably far better to have a simple, more static front page with some bright images and links.