Some Considerations

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Please realize that you are on a server with many other people. Currently there is plenty of room and resources for everyone. Some things that you should NOT do are, setting crons to run EVERY SECOND.

If you need to send out a 'mass email' wait until off peak times(Night for the US, is Off-Peak). If you need to backup your site, also, wait until an off peak time to do it. I've been watching the server today and I've found all of the above.

It only takes a few people to bring the server to a halt. We are one of the few hosts that give our users the freedom to do a lot of things, with that freedom some people abuse it and can cause problems for everyone else. If you need to send out mass Emails everyday, and you need to run cron every second, think about paying for hosting.

We will be getting more strict on resource usage.

-Corey

TheJeffsta

Reaction score
I think you should send a message to the owners of the account and possibly suspend it for a while e.g. a few days, a week, whatever you feel like.

SEÑOR

The Guy Everyone Hates
Reaction score
TheJeffsta said:
I think you should send a message to the owners of the account and possibly suspend it for a while e.g. a few days, a week, whatever you feel like.

Disagree. If you do suspend 1 day 2 days tops!

Cynical

Reaction score
I started making a backup today but I realized it was slowing down my site's loading time, which I figured was not good, so I cancelled the download (it had only been going for maybe two minutes).

What kind of chrons are being run every second??

EDIT: Here's an idea, though it is rather unrealistic... allow backups/mailing lists/chrons only between certain hours? Might be hard to implement, and might increase the server stress level during those hours though...

Last edited:

Nekaid

Reaction score
Hm...well, Isn't there a way to limit certain cron jobs?

TarinC

Reaction score
i know how u feel corey... i give free admin on my cs server and its abused so the only way to fix it is to show u mean something by telling people u will terminate their account or to remove some features, perhaps remove cron jobs for the advanced plan?

Nekaid

Reaction score
That sounds like a good idea. Most people don't like big ads so they choose the advanced plan because it allows cron jobs. You could disable cron jobs for the advanced plan. That way people that need cron jobs will use the corporate plan. You may also get more revenue that way.

TheJeffsta

Reaction score
There is no longer a 'Cron Jobs' link in the cPanel - that seems to be for all plans, as I have corporate hosting!

Is there anyway to rename the area to create cron jobs so that people that know the cPanel URLs cannot use it?

Alejandro

Staff
Staff member
Community Support
Reaction score
Conor said:
Whats up with you and being against suspension?
Yes, are you saying you're one of those? :p
I say we could send them an 'alert' and if they do it again, suspend them.

Last edited:

Cynical

Reaction score
Those who abuse the resources should definitely be notified, as many of them likely don't even know that they are hurting the server, but would stop if asked.

TarinC

Reaction score
people that hurt the server are also the people that complain their life out when it goes down, even if its somehow their fault.

maybe suspensions can be recorded and if a person is suspended 3 times for anything(ads, misuse) their account gets terminated. this way server the server can stay stable and get rid of abusers.

Jacob

Reaction score
TarinC said:
maybe suspensions can be recorded and if a person is suspended 3 times for anything(ads, misuse) their account gets terminated. this way server the server can stay stable and get rid of abusers.
That could cause some major problems, because our automated script sometimes suspends sites that are doing everything correctly, which could cause problems if it did it consistently.

TheJeffsta

Reaction score
Actually that system might end up failing, e.g. people being suspended for wrongful reasons or very minor offenses - no ads doesnt affect the server load!

If you find them, email them and ask them to fix it ASAP then suspend them for a day or 2, if they do not co-operate and stop the cron jobs and/or scripts then they should get their accounts terminated.

Look, my website uses like 0.00000000000000001 (ok, maybe an exagguration) of the server load and I have been suspended like 4 or 5 times now :S - cPanel inactivity the majority of them!

Vyriix

Reaction score
Here my 2 cents.

While I agree that consideration should be given by users of this service, that we should be considerate for each other, but it would be nice to have this consideration behave in the heart of each user, and not forced implement by the host.

This would allow flexibility among each users and admins, sometimes the users dont really know they are doing something using the resources too much, they can get a warning or 2, and get a suspension if it's not the first time they are eating the resources. Regarding to the "alerting users of using high load" system, which for me, yes, it's a good way. Agreed!

Last edited:

echo_unlimited

Reaction score
I am guessing this does not apply for paid hosting, no?

Any whom I don't think I do much harm to the server. On a rare or big occasion I will send out a mass email to 122 people. But I certainly don't run cron jobs every second. I hope my mass emailing will be alright?

Alejandro

Staff
Staff member
Community Support
Reaction score
Even in paid hosting, please try not to abuse of the server... ;)