some questions about joomla

jensvdh842

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a quite decent knowledge about xhtml/css. So i decided to make a template in photoshop. Then made that template in css/xhtml.

But now i have a few questions when it comes to converting that template to a joomla template.
I think i understand most of it (i have a blank css file with most of the code that i need, from encompassdesigns. So that will help alot)
But what i don't entirely understand is the whole "modules" thing.

Let's say i have a simple html template, with a horizontal header, a horizontal menu under the header. A left menu and a content block. These are divs.

How do i insert "joomla modules?" what do they exactly do? How do i know which module does what?

Or can i just make my divs and then assign menu's to each div via the joomla administration panel?

Last edited:

MaestroFX1

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
To include any module, use
----------------
<div id="Header">
<jdoc:include type=”header” />
</div>
----------------

jensvdh842

Reaction score
Ok so i've been reading abit more and i think i get it.
Can anyone confirm i got it right?

So first of all.
  • I need to choose what components and modules i want to use on my site.
  • After that, i need to make positions for those components and modules and put those in div's in html.
  • After that i just do the standard CSS markup and also the specific markup that is required by joomla.
  • Then i have to put every file i used and every position in an XML document.
  • After uploading my template i can then put the components and modules into their respective places via the joomla administrator panel (so inside the div's , placed around with css).
Is that right?
Also , i don't really get the difference between a "module" and a component quite yet.
what i think i understand so far is this:
  • A module is something that can be put anywhere (like a menu, a login form and button, a side-bar poll, a facebook widget)
  • A component is the "main part" of your website and can be News , a forum etc?
  • So there are not really different pages, it's just the component that changes based on what link you click.
Did i get it right now?
Also can i edit my website directly on the server using dreamweaver, or do i need to do everything offline and then upload the template? (i .e does joomla only read the XML file when i install the template , or everytime someone loads a page)

thanks in advance.

Last edited:

MaestroFX1

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Components are more complex in scripting and hence more advanced in their data handling.
They are mainly used for page rendering. It is system-wide.

Modules are not so complex. They are mostly complementary in nature.
It can be simple text too. It can be made page-specific.