SSL-Explorer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alid1712

Reaction score
I'm a bit confuse and numb right, is this due to the current transferring server, coz i got this SSL-Explorer while getting into my website http://zenith-empire.com

8724j1c.jpg

So basically i'm lost, What should i do?

epiccentury

Reaction score
Same thing. Let me check all the pages on the main site and see if corey is updating something again. It's more then likely just him doing some normal updates.

Go to the main site and login. Go to the account panel and look at the news section when things like this happen. For those of you who are to lazy to do so right now, here's the latest from Corey. This is what is currently going on and why everyone is getting this page.

Global Update(MySQL, Issues, Etc.)
04:15 PM on January 5th
Update, Please Read Entire Post

Summary(For those with short attention spans).
1.) MySQL is messed up, we are moving it back to local.
2.) We are replacing our secondary 250GB drives with SCSI drives solely for MySQL.
3.) We are taking this time to format the servers and set them up efficiently and correctly.
4.) I ordered another server solely for backups for this occasion.
5.) I will update the bottom of this post with the progress of our actions.
/End Summary
Our original goal was to move all databases from the free server to a single remote server to handle all MySQL processes. MySQL is the #1 resource hog on each server. By doing this we would eliminate the number one cause of lockups and stability issues. The implementation looked easy, the cost was only $250\mo, easy decision. Wrong. We started having issues from the start. We knocked them out slowly one by one. One issue took a whole week, going back between our Datacenter and cPanel. We were finally were told that it's a cPanel bug and may be fixed in the next 3 months. Obviously not a good answer, we investigated and came up with a work around.

This brings us to our very last and most recent issue, PHPMyAdmin. Since we are a free hosting company and on occasion stress software to it's breaking point with our highly unusual usage, it makes it very hard for us to get support from the developers of software. Specifically MySQL and PHPMyAdmin. We were told many different things, tried A LOT of different things, and in the end decided to open a paid support ticket with our Data Center to see if they could figure it out. This brings us to the past two days. The data center had a collapse of communication between their technicians and downgraded MySQL on our database server to 4.1(We were at 5.0). This caused huge issues, on top of that the tech did not make a backup of the databases before doing so.

I exchanged some words with one of the managers yesterday who assured me he would take care of it and everything would be fixed. At this point I just wanted the databases back online, the PHPMyAdmin issue could wait. Well, another catastrophic miscommunication occurred. They made some stupid decisions and delayed the process of fixing things for hours. I got a call from Bryon last night while I was out to dinner for a friend's birthday(I have a life sometimes) informing me of the ticket updates. I then spent 45 minutes on the phone outside going over everything with a tech. They finally got the database server back up this morning. There are of course issues with some databases because of the downgrading and upgrading. We have about 15 backups from the past week that are floating around, we will get everyone databases back up and running when we resolve this.

Where we are at now? Without a definitive answer for PHPMyAdmin in sight I have made the decision to move MySQL back locally, but replace the secondary 250GB HDDs we have with 73GB 15K SCSI drives at an extra cost and have MySQL run solely off these drives easing the burden on the I\O of the main drives. I have also decided that it would be best to format each server one by one and start fresh with all updated software. We've had so many updates, patches, fixes, etc(Apache 1.3->Apache2.2;ASP.NET Support, MySQL 4.1->5.0) over the past few months that these servers are not running anywhere close to efficient. By doing this each server will be 100% optimized and should be good to go for a long time to come.

Implementation. I have just purchased a server solely for backups. We are going to do this one server at a time by migrating all accounts to the backup server, formatting the current server, optimizing and securing then moving the accounts back. I'm hoping we can finish all this in the next two days for all servers. This is obviously not what I really want to do as it is going to cause downtime. But I feel that the overall improvement that we will get out of this will be worth it

So, please be patient, I am working as hard as I can on this. For those of you who have been with us a while, you know we will work as hard as possible until we solve these issues. We have a great team of staff members, and lots of drinks with caffeine, we will be around to answer questions until we are done. I will also try to keep everyone updated on our progress as much as possible. Thank you for sticking with us, we'll be back to 100% soon.

-Corey
You will not lose your data\accounts, this does not affect paid members, please excuse typos.

Progress:
Waiting for backup server to come online, ETA 2 hours.
Backup server is online, recompiling Apache, setting up MySQL, and updating cPanel to prepare for the account moves.
Server setup complete, copying accounts from Absolut over to backup server.
(716 Accounts Copied out of 4,566 as of 1:30AM EST(-5GMT))
(905 Accounts Copied out of 4,566 as of 2:15AM EST(-5GMT))
(1830 Accounts Copied out of 4,566 as of 12PM EST(-5GMT))
(2500 Accounts Copied out of 4,566 as of 5:30PM EST(-5GMT))
(3484 Accounts Copied out of 4,566 as of 7:20AM EST(-5GMT))(1-7-07)

F.A.Q.
Q: Will this move everything back to localhost?
A: Yes, all config files and such will have to be changed back to localhost

Q: Will I lose anything?
A: You should not lose anything, we have multiple backups of everything. Worst case you might lose a few hours of updates from MySQL while your account was being copied between servers.

Q: How will I know when it is done?
A: I will update this post as we complete stages.

Q: Does this affect paid services?
A: No, these move and updates are only going on for free servers.

The servers will go down between 9 and 11 CST tonight, 1/6/07 to add the new 15K hard drives.

Just a note, to help Corey with this, we should all try to avoid logging in to Cpanel and visiting and revisiting our web sites until this is done with. The flood of activity of people trying to figure out what is wrong could make things highly difficult for the team to fix the problems.

Last edited:

epiccentury

Reaction score
Honestly, if you have problems with it being down, you need to just give up. X10 has a 99.7 percent uptime. That includes it's free services. The service you get for free is incomparable to any other free hosting out there and you should be glad that Corey is providing these services for free.

DO NOT POST HERE WITH LINKS TO YOU WEB SITES ANY MORE. EVERY ONES PAGES ARE DOWN FOR THE TIME BEING UNTIL PROBLEMS ARE FIXED. WHEN THEY ARE FIXED I WILL POST. NO STAFF WILL REPLY TO THIS THREAD BECAUSE THEY ARE TOO BUSY FIXING THE PROBLEM.

jline

Reaction score
Honestly, if you have problems with it being down, you need to just give up. X10 has a 99.7 percent uptime. That includes it's free services. The service you get for free is incomparable to any other free hosting out there and you should be glad that Corey is providing these services for free.

I agree that the services are exceptional for a free host and I appreciate Corey's efforts. He clearly knows far more about web servers than I. However, I've not found the 99.7% statistic to be correct. Monitoring with a service like http://www.siteuptime.com/ will yield hard data.

DO NOT POST HERE WITH LINKS TO YOU WEB SITES ANY MORE. EVERY ONES PAGES ARE DOWN FOR THE TIME BEING UNTIL PROBLEMS ARE FIXED. WHEN THEY ARE FIXED I WILL POST. NO STAFF WILL REPLY TO THIS THREAD BECAUSE THEY ARE TOO BUSY FIXING THE PROBLEM.

No disrespect, but having an official statement of that position would be nice. Having done support myself, I know that feedback can be helpful in troubleshooting a problem. If, as someone else stated, repeated checking a site's status and accessing cPanel hinders progress, an official statement to that affect would be helpful.

epiccentury

Reaction score
I work in the IT field my self. I use this free hosting because I don't have the time to manage my own servers when I get home from work, and quite honestly, I don't want to. It's important to me as a server administrator, and a customer of X10 that the clients are just as aiding in the maintenance of the servers as the staff, when need be.

fgemmell

Reaction score
...if you have problems with it being down
You don't have problems with it being down???
you need to just give up
Thanks for that.
. X10 has a 99.7 percent uptime.
Yes but not in 2007 or 2008
you should be glad
What makes you think I'm not glad? I'm just blowing off a bit of steam here. Anyway, the way I feel is the way I feel, and you got no right to try to invalidate it.
Corey is providing these services for free.
There's no such thing as a free lunch.

gspear

Reaction score
I work in the IT field my self. I use this free hosting because I don't have the time to manage my own servers when I get home from work, and quite honestly, I don't want to. It's important to me as a server administrator, and a customer of X10 that the clients are just as aiding in the maintenance of the servers as the staff, when need be.

So at work you appreciate your users making technical pronouncements about your servers that they can't possibly have enough information to make?

phpbbx

Reaction score
slt

First thank you so much for this web hosting ...

I hope that you will fix all problems so fast as you can :happysad:

fgemmell

Reaction score
having an official statement of that position would be nice.

+1 on that.

The board is clogged with threads that just wouldn't be there if there was an obvious banner headline stating the *current* position that you saw when you first logged in. I don't want to be constantly revisiting sticky threads or running searches or reading thru a dozen threads to figure out that evrybody else has the same problem.

I've only been using the service for about six weeks, so perhaps this is atypical. There seems to be a certain amount of backbiting amongst the users, perhaps that's why there's no X10UG.

jline

Reaction score
The board is clogged with threads that just wouldn't be there if there was an obvious banner headline stating the *current* position that you saw when you first logged in. I don't want to be constantly revisiting sticky threads or running searches or reading thru a dozen threads to figure out that evrybody else has the same problem.

Apparently (?), the problem is related to the mysql changes being made but those, like myself, who don't use mysql, can't readily conclude that this is the case nor that the mysql thread pertains to the SSL-Explorer issue we're seeing on the Cossacks server.

I know the Admins are busy but a notice with SSL-Explorer in the subject posted to the Server Alerts forum would let us know that there is a problem, the admins are aware of it, and a notice (on just that issue) will be posted when it's resolved.

Until my site starts working or I read a notice, I won't know if there's an issue specific to my site.

I've only been using the service for about six weeks, so perhaps this is atypical. There seems to be a certain amount of backbiting amongst the users, perhaps that's why there's no X10UG.

With all due respect to epiccentury, a post directing everyone to stop posting problem reports from someone with fewer than 10 posts can hardly be taken as the official position. Although I'm sure the intentions were good.

Personally, when I posted my trouble report, it wasn't to get personal attention or a response from the Admins but rather to offer data that might be useful in diagnosing the problem(s). Neither was my report a complaint.

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
Hello there,

Everybody who is having a problem with their site, stop worrying and listen up.

Because of all the trouble x10 have had lately what whith the server move, MySQL and all, they're formatting all the servers and starting afresh. To do so, they've had to backup all accounts onto another server, which is taking, judging by the sound of things, a little longer than expected.

For information about what's going on, try visiting this link:
Global Update(MySQL, Issues, Etc.)

x10 are working extremely hard to fix this, let's all show some appreciation

--Luke
Edit:
So at work you appreciate your users making technical pronouncements about your servers that they can't possibly have enough information to make?
What he's trying to get at is that you need to remain patient and the let the techs get on with their job. Can't you people simply stop moaning and appreciate this service for goodness sake?

Last edited:

Russ

<b>Retired *****</b>
Reaction score
I have reviewed this thread, i'm closing it. I have also given infractions to users because of this thread. If you're going to talk negatively about x10, leave. Please. We appreciate our users, but we're overwhelmed by the amount of posts about the same issues, and users complaining about it. Just be patient.

Status
Not open for further replies.