StarShine's Website Layout

Zenax

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

As you may have read from StarShine's topic regarding his website, and what things he needed, I discussed tor probability of doing the template for him.

The reason for this was he was on a CMS, *Joomla!* and didn't really like it, but loved the template, so I offered to do it for him as a standard template.

I came up with this:

http://freezebox.x10hosting.com/starshine/index_2.php

Now it is changed a fair bit, as he said he wanted the look of http://animalxing.com so I decided to change the look so it suited that type of website layout better!

Please Rate outta 10

Regards,
Zenax

YamiKaitou

Reaction score
It looks good. Personaly, I feel that the orange nav bar stands out a little to much. The banner looks cool, the colors match the layout well.

Overall, I would say 7.5

Trixter

Reaction score
change the nav bar titles to be a red gradient and itll look even better as they look out of place right now. other then that its a 8/10

Starshine

Legend Killer
Reaction score
It looks wonderful. :)
Although, I do agree with the others with the orange color. Its a bit bright to me. Maybe a different color scheme?
I tend to like blues, purples, reds.

Is there a way to add a copyright notice at the very bottom - like the original had? ( copyright 2007 ... )

Otherwise, you got the idea that I was after. :)

dest581

Reaction score
When I viewed it, the page was shifted over at least 100 pixels, with part of it off to the right.

YamiKaitou

Reaction score
Also, it is not exactly centered. On 1280x960, the left is 159 pixels from the edge and the right is 209 pixels from the edge.

Zenax

Reaction score
Ok, Changes shall be made to the layout, so that it meets the expectations!

As for the centered, I just set the margin left to about 150px, because when I put a centered div around the whole thing, it centered the content not the divs themselves!

The logo doesn't look right in IE6 because of the transparency used.

@ Starshine, I can change the colour scheme around so that it usese blues etc, if you so wish. I was simply using the current template, and that colour scheme.

I shall place the copyright in as well.

As for your legal notice, that you originally had StarShine, any chance I can get a copy of it, to place on the site?

Thanks for the reviews.

Regards,
Zenax

Xenon Design

Reaction score
The layout is ok. The main background colour could be worked on a bit more. The main content area is lacking a bit of difference like inline images and different fonts. Not bad overall. I would, myself, go for a different colour scheme but yours is fine.

6/10

Zenax

Reaction score
Well thanks Xenon. The idea was based on a original Joomla! template that he had, so I just used that colour scheme, but in an earlier post he mentioned he likes bluey colours, so I came up with this:

http://freezebox.x10hosting.com/starshine/blueversion/index_2.php

Take a look! See if it is any better! I aint too sure about the second top banner but otherwise i reckon its good!

Regards,
Zenax

EDIT: TO VIEW SECOND BANNER PLEASE LOOK ON OTHER PAGES, E.G. THE LINKS PAGE! DOESNT WORK ON INDEX!

Last edited:

Starshine

Legend Killer
Reaction score
That looks cool. :) I like that.
I'll wait to see what others think. But my opnion anyway, it does look good.

I did PM you back regarding the site and whatnot. Just waiting to hear from ya. :) I can resend if you need.

YamiKaitou

Reaction score
On the index, the image is being linked to img/tree_image.jpg, but on the links page, it is linked to img/tree_image1.jpg

It appears to be better blended. Personally, blue seems a little to bright to ocupy the entire page. It still looks cool. 8/10

Starshine

Legend Killer
Reaction score
Any suggestions for a color blend then? Like multi-color schemes?

He's doing a wonderful job, and its great he's offered to do this for me ... so maybe with suggestions ... maybe we can get something that really stands out.

Like he said, I am trying to base my site off of animalxing.com ... as I liked their layout and my site will mainly be for Animal Crossing ... so anything related would be great.

unpixelatedgamers

Reaction score
I personally like the orangey one better. The Blue is a little too 'cool' for my tastes. And the yellow text on the blue background does weird things to my eyes.

And as pointed out you're second banner is broken on all the blue pages except the contact.

The Orangey one seems more warm and inviting to me. And you've captured the style of the animal crossing website well.

Orange 8/10 very nice,

blue 5/10 too cold. IMO.

SEÑOR

The Guy Everyone Hates
Reaction score
Ok 2 things:

1) Blue version crap, other one was so mcuh better with the orange and stuff
2) Your banners have nothing to do with animal crossing, those poeple in them are not animal crossing people!!!!!!!!!

Starshine

Legend Killer
Reaction score
Ok 2 things:

1) Blue version crap, other one was so mcuh better with the orange and stuff
2) Your banners have nothing to do with animal crossing, those poeple in them are not animal crossing people!!!!!!!!!

We're aware of the banners. They were just created at the time ( when I had Joomla ) as a place holder until we decided what to do.

I am having someone design some new graphics for me. :)

So, Senor - should we do all orange as before, or a mix of orange and other colors?

SEÑOR

The Guy Everyone Hates
Reaction score
i think orange brown and like a dark green.