The best operating system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swiblet

Reaction score
Re: What is the best operating system?

I like Windows Vista Premium/Ultimate! =D

DON'T SHOOT ME!!

I say this because I have the graphics card and processor to handle it...and I get any Vista for free. So I don't deal with not having requirements or funds.

~~B3N

evansmaster

Reaction score

How about those who don't have Vista?

cyreg

Reaction score

Linux is very popular for its sufficiency. A computer is very fast under Linux. But I never tried it.

GamingX

Executive Team
Reaction score

I liked the GUI of Vista, when I installed it. But I couldn't run my favorite apps on it. I switched back to Windows XP and also installed Ubuntu. No problems with either of them.

Jesse

Reaction score

I like vista, had no problems with it.

manzoor

Reaction score

GamingX are you able to run apps in Ubuntu ?? Windows apps ?

Are software supported by Ubuntu ?

sorry for my stuppidddddddd english

fitzysit

Reaction score

i have a few windows apps on ubuntu using a program called WINE but my preferred is WINDOWS XP or WINDOWS VISTA ULTIMATE EDITION

Slothie

Reaction score

There isn't really a best. It'd be more accurate to say 'Best suited'

Windoze - Still the best gaming platform since almost all games are developed for it. Also due to the widespread usage of MS Office, one of the
Linux - General office usage, casual browsing, servers. Very promising but lacking in applications for users.
Mac - Graphic / Video editing and/or users who just want to be different.

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
I think that linux is best, but because you can't get many programs for linux, i use windows xp

adrenlinerush

Reaction score
I think that linux is best, but because you can't get many programs for linux, i use windows xp

you can to... everything I've ever used you can get an equivelant for under linux except autocad... you just have to know where to look and you have to know how to install from source because even ubuntu doesn't have all of software in a apt repository..

alot of windows stuff you can get to run under wine or with mono runtime... of course if its written to be cross platform with something like java you just install the proper jvm... if you're down and out and really need to run a windows app under linux there is always vmware which I used when I had to code in VB at my previous job... vmware server is now free and opensource... actually for awhile now it has been... and its pretty easy to install ... under ubuntu 7.06 there is a repository(can't install from source without patching) and 7.10 you can install from source(without patching)...

linux is by far the best operating system, most secure and most reliable, and in the last year or so it has really come of age being easy to install and use with ubuntu.... although I prefer gentoo which now does have an installer I prefer the "build from scratch" approach...

Slothie

Reaction score
You could use mono or wine, but if the majority of the applications you run are in windows why waste the extra resources emulating instead of just using windows :)

adrenlinerush

Reaction score
thats why I use the cross platform or linux native stuff... I think the only thing I have installed under wine is Radmin viewer and thats just so I can remote into clients that use that as thier remote access software... I actually think Radmin is the best remote access for windows its by famatech....

like i said earlier there are plent of alternatives on linux... inkscape and gimp replace photoshp... komposer replaces front page... open office replaces ms office... etc....

Swiblet

Reaction score
>.> I'm confused. This guy posted here, then reposted this on Computers and Technology, then the entire thread on the Technology forum got moved to this one o_O What happened?

~~B3N

Status
Not open for further replies.