Transferring ownership of a website

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hydrargyrum

Reaction score
x10hosting only allows one website per person, right. I kind of wanted to give my website away to someone else. Basically the story goes like this:

I am a board member for a local organization. They needed a website, since the old one was, well, old and out of date. And I said "hey, I do web design. I'll do that." So I did! And I'm still working on it a bit, and will finish it up shortly after our board meeting next week. But I'm moving away soon, very far away, and after it's done and updated, it will be handed over to someone else to care for since I won't be around to be a board member or even a member of the organization anymore.

I want to have my own website. I'm sort of thinking it would be fun to have a web design portfolio showcasing things I have done. This would be crucial for finding a job in my new city. I could also host a couple of smaller personal websites, like a blog about my garden (I'm such a girl, eh?), that would both be there for for the joy of having a blog discussing heirloom tomatoes, and as a web design sample. I could even use a subdomain, because the coolness that is x10hosting will allow me to have three of them!

So how do I go about giving the website I have to someone else once I'm done with it? I assume it's probably something along the lines of person B signs up for an x10hosting forums account, then I, person A, ask someone here very nicely to unlink the website from my account, then person B links the website to their account. Then (after dealing with a small handful of technical errors ;)), I will be in the clear to start a new account for me.

Just to complicate things a bit, I also have a domain name, and want to transfer ownership of that along with the website, of course.

Also, since you guys keep an eye on IP addresses, I've got to ask . . . am I going to get banned for having an FTP account on the organization's website and helping with general maintenance or fixing something in case the person/people who are in possession of it accidentally delete a huge chuck of code or something like that? (That actually happened to our last website, so I want to be able to say "if you break it, send me an email and I'll fix it.")

I would very much like to figure this out now, because I intend to do this around the first or second week of April and don't want to have to figure it out then.

Thanks for your help!

- Jade

GamingX

Executive Team
Reaction score
Do you mean to transfer the domain www.peterboroughlets.com to another account or is it a different domain? And the script suspends users when it finds a user logging into the cPanel of another account other than its own.

Starshine

Legend Killer
Reaction score
You could have the new person signup with x10. ( Forum / Hosting )
Backup all files on your hosting service. ( Or copy everything you plan to use for your friend )
Be sure if you want to use a domain name, to remove it from parked or add-on first.
Logout and login here to the forum.
Ask staff to terminate your account ( Seems the best way at the moment )
Once account is terminated, login to friend's account and upload / setup site for them.
Logout - clear all cookies / temp files and then go ahead and reapply for x10hosting if you so wish.

Hydrargyrum

Reaction score
Yep, I want to transfer the whole website, domain name and all, to another account.

By the way, does the cPanel thing just check the currently logged in account against the cPanel account, or does it check the IP address, too? I ask this because I like x10Hosting so much, I recommended it to a friend with a sweet little e-commerce site selling organic cloth nappies who is currently paying a fortune for hosting from Nexicom. If she sets up her x10Hosting account now and comes over for tea this weekend and I help her transfer her everything over here, on my connection, I don't want to accidentally get us both suspended.

Anyhow, I don't know about the whole backing everything up, deleting, creating a new account, uploading, etc. thing. That is kind of what I was trying to avoid. Is there not an easier way to do it?

Chris73

Reaction score
Really there is no other way to do it. This would be the ideal way. It's not to complicated to back up the site and then upload it to her new account. Since we don't transfer accounts for people.

Status
Not open for further replies.