Ubuntu CDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

lambada

Reaction score
I got some Ubuntu CD's ages ago when it was still 5.05 Breezy Badger.

They took about a month to arrive for me. My guess is that it depends where you live and whether you're ordering at a peak time (i.e. just after a new release).

Shadow121

Reaction score
Which is better?

Ubuntu or Fedora, i was thinking of switching out an old system to one or the other.

Brandon

Former Senior Account Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
I think Fedora or CentOS is the best, at least for a server standpoint.

dpogary

Reaction score
i was wondering wich Linux i should install, i have ubuntu 7 on my other hard comp and i wanna set up a server with mySQL and php and all that stuff so i can program my website and all that stuff without having to put the website online to check it out...what do you think, wich linux should i use and do you have any suggestions or links to tutorials on how to set the server up?

halohalo

Reaction score
It largely depends on the specs of the system that you want to install Linux on. I have a really old Laptop PC (Pentium 150 MHz) that I resurrected using DSL Linux, which is great for very old PC's with limited memory and disk space.

As for my home computer, I'm using Freespire on my old PC (An AMD Athlon XP system) and it works great! One good place/source of iso's for Linux OS's is at: http://www.madtux.org; they provide fast dl for free or for a small fee to help support the various Linux projects out there.

(Linux Enthusiast... can't you tell?)

i was wondering wich Linux i should install, i have ubuntu 7 on my other hard comp and i wanna set up a server with mySQL and php and all that stuff so i can program my website and all that stuff without having to put the website online to check it out...what do you think, wich linux should i use and do you have any suggestions or links to tutorials on how to set the server up?

Just a few thoughts to help you out - if your goal is to set up a webserver, you don't need to change the OS on your computer. You just need to install a webserver on your second computer. Apache (http://apache.org) is a good webserver - there's a version for MS Windows and there's lots of documentation on how to get it up and running on your internal/home network.

Last edited:

lambada

Reaction score
If you're not confident with setting up a LAMP server (It's actually quite easy providing you download the right things) then Ubuntu Server edition has a one click LAMP installation mode.

brianfast

Reaction score
Me and my friend ordered a lot of CDs. I requested like 20 the first time (have used 0) and then another load of 20 the next time. He just ordered 25 once I just put my name as a pc repair place and they send them. Its funny though because they gave us stickers like we were real users and should be proud. But all we do is play frisbee with them.

Last edited:

halohalo

Reaction score
What's the latest release of Ubuntu these days? Is it Feisty Fawn or Gutsy Gibbon?

Also, anyone out there own (or plan to own) one of those special Dell laptops with Ubuntu onboard? I'd love to own a laptop with Ubuntu or Linux in general but my primary problem is with the support for wireless networking hardware. Apparently, Ubuntu systems only support WEP wireless encryption (Wireless Equivalent Protocol). Can anyone out there confirm or refute this?

Two Online Dealers which sell OEM Open Source Systems with Ubuntu:
System 76
Dell Computers

dpogary

Reaction score
Just a few thoughts to help you out - if your goal is to set up a webserver, you don't need to change the OS on your computer. You just need to install a webserver on your second computer. Apache (Welcome! - The Apache Software Foundation) is a good webserver - there's a version for MS Windows and there's lots of documentation on how to get it up and running on your internal/home network.

its not meant to be a webserver at all...i want a internal server(dosnt connect online at all) just ment to be able to test out my website as i program it...i want it to be realistic to the real server's though(i want to test out that the SQL's are working correctly, make sure CRON works as it should, things like that) so i would need to have all the same features that a server im posting the site on...since i use x10's hosting i would like it to look exactly like their setup...but i dont want to have it online at all...if that makes any sense...

dpogary

Reaction score
ok so i tried doing apach with mysql and PHP and PHPAdmin....but i would still like to know how to add everything else onto there...like Cron and a Control panel(like Cpanel)

any ideas?

clareto

Reaction score
About Ubuntu:
Versions are named by a number and a label. The number follows the pattern Y.MM for Year and MMonth. So, as today (aug-07) the latest version is 7.04. They release a new version each six months, so the next expected release will be in october, i.e. 7.10.

7.04: Feisty Fawn (current version)
7.10: Gutsy Gibbon (currently beta, until october)

The difference between Ubuntu and Kubuntu is just the desktop environment. Ubuntu uses Gnome, while Kubuntu uses KDE (I personally prefer KDE).

Ubuntu is a distribution based on Debian, so installing applications (like apache, mysql and php) in Ubuntu is as easy as in Debian. I find the easiest way is typing some command lines in the command prompt. Installing and configuring an Apache, mysql and php server takes about 6 commands and about 15min (depending on connection speed). Curious about the 6 lines? take a look to them

Code:
sudo apt-get install apache2
sudo apt-get install php5
sudo apt-get install libapache2-mod-php5
sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart
sudo apt-get install mysql-server
sudo apt-get install libapache2-mod-auth-mysql

Are you a lazy person?, do you get tired by typing 6 lines? well, type only one to setup a LAMP server:

Code:
sudo tasksel install lamp-server

or
Code:
sudo apt-get install apache2 php5-mysql libapache2-mod-php5 mysql-server

Well, im trying to explain things I've been done for only 3 months (and now using ubuntu 90% of the time). Better let the experts explain it

An extensive guide
Ubuntu:Feisty -

An explanation about how to install anything in ubuntu (and how it works)
How to install ANYTHING in Ubuntu!

The official help
https://help.ubuntu.com/

If you google for some help about ubuntu, you will rather end up in the ubuntu forums. They are very helpful.

And about the shipit.ubuntu.com stuff, they will not hesitate about sending you the cds. They even send the cds to irresponsible people that request the cds only to play frisby. So, why will they hesitate for sending the cds to a really interested person?

You can request 1, 2, 10, 20... All you have to do is create an account in launchpad and use that account to request the cds.

http://shipit.ubuntu.com

halohalo

Reaction score
ok so i tried doing apach with mysql and PHP and PHPAdmin....but i would still like to know how to add everything else onto there...like Cron and a Control panel(like Cpanel)

any ideas?

Cron is a native feature on Linux and Unix installs. It is a daemon (background process) that is managed by the "crontab" function. To use cron, type:

crontab -l

To list the current cron jobs scheduled.

To add a cronjob or edit your cronjobs, type:

crontab -e

For more information on how to manage, run and set up crons, type:

man crontab

Which will get you the man page on how-to use cron. A google search on crontab may also lead to some good tutorials on how to run crons.

As far as cPanel goes, I suspect that this is software that webhosting companies BUY and install on their systems as a layer on top of their webservers for managing hosting accounts. Not sure where to buy it though.

blitzkrieg

Reaction score
What's the latest release of Ubuntu these days? Is it Feisty Fawn or Gutsy Gibbon?

[...]

Apparently, Ubuntu systems only support WEP wireless encryption (Wireless Equivalent Protocol). Can anyone out there confirm or refute this?

Latest Ubuntu release is Feisty Fawn (7.04). And you're half right about Wireless support. This is from Ubuntu's FAQ :

If your wireless network is protected by WEP encryption, ensure that you specify your network password when configuring your connection. Ubuntu does not automatically support WPA encryption, if you require this, there is a WPA guide on the Ubuntu documentation wiki.

WPA Guide : https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WPAHowTo

And there is also another user-created guide for WPA1, WPA2, mixed mode, LEAP, PEAP, DHCP, etc. on the forum :

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=202834

dpogary

Reaction score
with my ubuntu i have had no problem connecting to the internet through WEP....but it seems like 90% of the time i will have to re enter the passkey when the comp starts up...as if it dosnt save the passcode or something

Status
Not open for further replies.