Unused VB license

Eric@TLG

Reaction score
Well hopefully asking if anyone has an unused Vbulletin license isn't against any rules/policies but at the moment i cannot afford one and would like to start a gaming community running VB if anyone can help id greatly appreciate it.

Derek

Community Support Force
Community Support
Reaction score
I have one but it's in use.. Try SMF or phpbb.

Eric@TLG

Reaction score
smf and phpbb are ok but VB is so easy to use and has so many features i like. if it was possible for someone to have an unused licesnse that would be great otherwise im stuck with smf or the like till i can buy one :/ who knows how long thatl be.

GamingX

Executive Team
Reaction score
Even if someone had, I am not sure if he would be willing to give it to others. My opinion is keep using some of the opensource forums until you have enough cash to buy one.

Eric@TLG

Reaction score
well im not asking for them to give to me exactly but in a way work for them. if its unused it holds no point, i would like to put it to use in some forums i have been planning to make, the person who would let me do this would have access to everything i do of course and if he doesnt like something can say so. i merely just want the chance to start up a community that is going to be very large using VB. Mybb is ok ive tried it and if this doesnt work out will most likely be my alternative.

Last edited:

Derek

Community Support Force
Community Support
Reaction score
The current larges forum is running on PHPbb...

Jesse

Reaction score
I agree with chougard use MyBB similar to vbulletin.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't want to seem...Off or anything, but at $160 for the license, I kinda doubt anyones just gunna go "Oh yeah sure, here ya go." That'd be like me taking my entire collection of the Munchkin card games and just giving them away - I might do it if there was a gaming charity nearby, but otherwise theres not a lot of chance for it.

Add the $30 for updates after the first year and it's getting pricy.

Not saying it won't happen of course, but depending on what gets tied to that license you'll REALLY be in an uphill battle (if somehow a vB license is tied to the original credit card used to purchase it for instance, or to the paypal account used to purchase it, I can pretty much guarantee anyone aware of that wouldn't be transferring it to another user).

wolf693

Reaction score
I'd start off with something free such as phpBB (what I use, works great now that it's 3.0 Gold. Free too!) or MyBB (Haven't used it, but heard it's good) or SMF. Then, you get enough users, run a donations section with a link to a PayPal account. Don't beg or plead or threat or do ANYTHING OF THE SORT! Just calmly ask them to donate for the cost of a vBulliten license plus updates and hopefully you'll reach your goal! :)

Last edited:

Eric@TLG

Reaction score
I don't want to seem...Off or anything, but at $160 for the license, I kinda doubt anyones just gunna go "Oh yeah sure, here ya go." That'd be like me taking my entire collection of the Munchkin card games and just giving them away - I might do it if there was a gaming charity nearby, but otherwise theres not a lot of chance for it.

Add the $30 for updates after the first year and it's getting pricy.

Not saying it won't happen of course, but depending on what gets tied to that license you'll REALLY be in an uphill battle (if somehow a vB license is tied to the original credit card used to purchase it for instance, or to the paypal account used to purchase it, I can pretty much guarantee anyone aware of that wouldn't be transferring it to another user).

Im not trying to have someone give me there VB license, but in a way work for it if its unused it serves them no purpose il put it to use on forums and they can run ads and whatnot on the forum for payment getting paid for an unused VB license seems like a good idea :/ idk.

Yea, I have one. Take it. But be honest.

So do you honestly have one i could work with? if you do can i talk more with you on MSN/xfire/aim soon?

Derek

Community Support Force
Community Support
Reaction score
Go find a "free" vbulletin provider with a whole bunch of ads on it. I forgot the name tho.

Eric@TLG

Reaction score
i tried googling combinations of the words "free" "vbulletin" "provider" even "with ads" no luck. if you remember the name at all please PM me or post it here :).

Last edited:

EvoMe

Reaction score
try asking if anyone is willing to share the price of the license with you, so it wont be all that expensive.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
try asking if anyone is willing to share the price of the license with you, so it wont be all that expensive.

Wouldn't help; the licenses are only good for one install of the forum. Installing it in two places requires two licenses; if you were to get caught having it installed twice, you'd lose the license and lose both forums (they are pretty good about going after the host, and Corey's pretty DAMN good about removing warez from the servers once he's aware of it - if caught, Jelsoft will make sure Corey knows about it).

All I can suggest is saving up the cash for it by getting a job or anything along those lines - I can't get information on vB, but I'm questioning if it's even legal to transfer the license. If it's not, then you're already at risk of losing the forums :(

EvoMe

Reaction score
i mean like having one forum but have two people owning it. Is that possible?

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
i mean like having one forum but have two people owning it. Is that possible?

Yeah, you'd just have 2 admins on the same forum.

I don't like the idea of that though; if theres ever a falling out between the two, it's going to be a race to who can be the first to demote the other user and change the adminstration password.

Now, something like what x10's got'd work - one actual admin, and a bunch of smaller "co-admin/mods" if you will :)

Always possible to have 2 people own the forum, the only thing is the license'll be in 1 persons name. Thats the main problem; any issues that end up with that ownership getting "split" mean whoever actually buys the license is the one who'll have it - Jelsoft doesn't appear to support multiple ownership.

Last edited: