upsize my space!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mramilo58

Reaction score
to whom I will ask for upsize my webspace? I have a lot of personal pictures but I can't upload all because of very limited space. thanks

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
And just to put that into perspective, the 1GB gallery limit is enough for 1200 images at 1200x1800 pixels, JPEG compressed at a 4:1 ratio ("super fine" quality, averaging just under 700KB per image) -- which can be printed quite satisfactorily at 8x12 inches -- along with giant thumbnails of each at 400x600 pixels with the same quality compression.

That's rather a lot of very high quality images for a "personal gallery". For viewing on the web, you don't need anything like that kind of resolution -- 1200 pixels in the long dimension is more than enough (and won't fit vertically on most laptop screens). That gets you 2400 images with corresponding thumbnails and room to spare. Do you really have 2400 pictures that are good enough to share at gallery size?

I can't think of a good reason to upload 10MP+ images (directly from the camera) to a site where the pictures are meant to be viewed online. That size (assuming proper noise reduction and sharpening) is good enough for a professional-quality print at 13x19"" (which usually mattes out to an 18x24" frame). It may be what you want to upload to your SmugMug Pro account so people can order prints, but it's not at all suitable for viewing online.

Facebook seems to get by quite nicely with pictures that are only 720px high, and they pay people to figure out what the best size is. With corresponding thumbnails at a more reasonable 240px in the long dimension, that gives you enough room for well over 5000 photos in the 1GB gallery space (and you could easily fit a thousand pictures, along with a blog, gallery software and a fairly active forum inside a 500MB account). And remember that these calculations are based on very high quality JPEG compression -- you could get away with a lot more for snapshots. Almost nobody will notice significant deterioration at 10:1 compression versus 4:1, and that more than doubles the number of images.

Status
Not open for further replies.