USB switch help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandogg

Reaction score
Hi
I have an Epson Stylus DX8400 series all-in-one printer/scanner which I wanted to connect to two PCs one of which would be through a print server.
I wanted to easily switch between the two PCs to enable to scan and print from one and to print only from the other through the print server.

I figured the best and cheapest way was to use a USB switch and Purchased a Belkin 4-Port USB Switch,Model F1U200.

Please bear with me as I try to explain my setup:

PC1 (main machine remote from printer)--->Wireless router--->Print server---->USB Switch--->Printer/Scanner

PC2 (2nd Machine next to printer)--->USB Switch--->Printer/Scanner

Both machines are running Windows XP Pro, with the relevant Printer/Scanner drivers and software installed

I can print form PC1 over wi-fi and through the print server with no problem when the usb switch is switched to its connection.

If I now switch the usb switch to the second PC, I get an error message which says Windows cannot recognize the device. It seems to recognize the USB switch as a USB hub but does not recognize the printer.

I have tried changing the cables, reinstalling the drivers, using different switch numbers but PC2 still cannot recognize the printer/scanner which means I cannot use it.

If I plug the printer/scanner straight to PC2, i.e. without the USB Switch, everything works fine.

I cannot understand why I can print from PC1 but not PC2.:dunno:

Hope somebody can help. Cheers
Edit:
Typical.

Just after posting, I hear the windows sound across the room that PC2 has detected the Printer/scanner.
Which was strange as I tried unplugging and replugging cables, everything I could think of...

And now everything seems to be working fine.:nuts::hahano:
Edit:
Please close this thread.

Last edited:

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
You can close the thread yourself. There is a link under Thread Tools above your post.

But I've done it for you.
*Closed*

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.