using a .php file

Namjies

Reaction score
I downloaded a script and placed it on my website, as directed. I'm supposed to be able to install the feature by accessing the file afterwards in my browser. But I simply cannot use this file I uploaded. It seems as if there is nothing at that place. But the php file is there. Anything I should know about using a php file? Because its kind of anoying since there is no other instructions.

DefecTalisman

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Write the script, check it for errors, upload it, check for errors again and then off you go. No chkmod needed. Only requierments is that it is in your "public_html" folder (this would equate to www.your domain.something/the file.php) and that the functions in it are supported by your php version.

If you are on Ad free, the server is being/has been moved. So you will get some down time across the board.

Is this error still the case?

jensen

Reaction score
The x10 ads are not showing. Are you on the ad free package? I can see the words "Hosts Ad" only.

Are you having problems inserting the ad codes for X10hosting?

DefecTalisman

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I am on ad free and therfore have no adds. Sorry, did you sort the previouse problem?

Namjies

Reaction score
Hmm, I know nothing of php, i can't really check for error. I know the script is fully working. When I place it and try to go to the .php file, I'm supposed to access an installation menu.

I placed it in my root folder as directed.

Instead, I get a 500 Internal Server Error

<<Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@namworld.x10hosting.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request. >>

I'm trying to install the Linkex script.

I tried to place the php script on an html page to see something. I get tables to enter data, but i get tons of them. Actually, its about all the tables I should get on the differents pages of linkex when installed, but without the images and most of the script showing as it instead of the page. Is there something I should know about placing .php files on my website? I can easily place html pages, but I don't know much about php.

Of course I welcome anyone to take and use my hotmail to chat with me. Its always easier to solve problems this way.

If i try to open the .php file with my browsers (IE 7 and Firefox), it seems the file tries to "download itself then open" and when the file is openend, it wants to redownload and reopen, even if its on my computer, or something similar. I don't know if its normal... On my computer, .php files are condidered "Microsoft digital Image Document". I know it works quite well tho when i access a .php file on other websites.

Last edited:

DefecTalisman

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Ok, a php script requires a server to run on, you can install a Apache server reasonably easy on your computer (its all free & leagl, if done right).
You can go here to see how -> http://forums.x10hosting.com/teh-intarwebz/28061-setting-up-localhost-beginers-me.html?highlight=localhost

A php script should always start and end like this :
PHP:
<?php

?>
If you open it in a text editor like notepad you will see the code.

Php can be written in to html documents like so :
PHP:
<?php
?>
<head>
</head>
<body>
<?php
?>
</body>
There can be countless scripts in a document, but it now must be saved as *.php

Ok, to the problem you are having. I am pretty sure it has to do with the fact you are on the ad free (cossacks) server. Try getting to the file through a proxy ( http://tools.rosinstrument.com/cgi-proxy.htm ). I am also having the same problem with my pages and scripts, that is why my signature is not showing (it is a php GD dynamic image).
Go to my page and see if you can see anything.
http://www.defectalisman.com
http://www.defectalisman.com/joomla
http://www.defectalisman.com/local_grill/form_dt.php

I have posted a thread in the right place ("Free Hosting") and Corey is adressing it. If I come right I am sure you will and a whole load more people to.

Namjies

Reaction score
actually, I just had to upgrade my php. But now I cannot make the small php script work on my html page, so the links of Linkex can show. How can I have an html page with php on it? if i keep it .html, it doesn't show, if i save it .php, the file won't open.