Visit forums once in 2 weeks or a month ?

fireput

Reaction score
I thought visiting the forums once in a month will be a better idea, especially for busy ppl ... what you ppl think huh ?

Starshine

Legend Killer
Reaction score
I thought visiting the forums once in a month will be a better idea, especially for busy ppl ... what you ppl think huh ?

Personally, I don't. Because of late anyway. With server issues, additions and subtractions and re-additions of servers, updates, downtimes, etc ... in a month ... a lot could happen that nobody would be aware of.

At least checking in every two weeks, login and scan the News and Announcements, Server Alerts ... keeps you updated. Or at least set up a subscription to those areas, so when new messages are posted - you get an e-mail, and then come, login - read the message and then logout.

enixidfrag

Reaction score
agreed the subscription is a nice way cause alot of poeple will probably forget :D

The_Magistrate

Reaction score
Logging in every two weeks is not a lot to ask for. Many other free hosting companies ask for a minimum number of posts per week. If you are unable to login every two weeks, there are other ways to keep your account active (i.e. paying).

I started paying to remove ads before the two week rule was implemented, but I'm glad I did. For almost a year and half, I didn't have the time to be an active member of this community. The money I paid helped Corey pay for the services and kept my account alive while I was gone.

calypso

Reaction score
i think that members should log in every couple of days 2 stay updated

GamingX

Executive Team
Reaction score
No offense meant...But why do we have to visit the X10hosting forums once in two weeks?

Starshine

Legend Killer
Reaction score
No offense meant...But why do we have to visit the X10hosting forums once in two weeks?

This rule was put in place to get members to check in, read the server alerts and the News & Announcements, because if you haven't noticed lately, we have added, removed and added again a server, we've had some account issues, HTTP going up and down.

So basically, its just used to keep the members informed of any updates or changes going on.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
So there is no excuse that you didn't get any of the emails or didn't read the forums when we change things. Also helps us weed out inactive accounts.

-Corey

blitzkrieg

Reaction score
Just put this webpage as your homepage (or part of a homepage folder, some folder you just visit all the websites in each day). It takes less time than checking and answering emails.

rosgar

Reaction score
So there is no excuse that you didn't get any of the emails or didn't read the forums when we change things. Also helps us weed out inactive accounts.

-Corey

Inactive accounts for how long?

No offense, but what if a member is sick for 2 months? or in a hospital? Are you gonna terminate his/her account for not visiting the forum once in 2 weeks? Just asking.:happysad:

Dannz

Reaction score
I agree - this is a concern to me also. It also sounds like the account will be shutdown and everything lost without having any warning. What if you go on a trekking holiday to Nepal for 2 months?

It would also be nice to have option to have email alerts on server issues instead (is this available?), and if nothing else, to have option for email reminder every 10 days or 2 weeks to log in to the forum and b) assurance that the account will not be deactivated without first attempting to contact the person. It would also be more reassuring if the account were only at first suspended for a month, with backup and easy restore - and only after then completely deleted. It would also be nice if could notify someone that will be away - and so have the 'vacation' from the forum.

Starshine

Legend Killer
Reaction score
Inactive accounts for how long?

No offense, but what if a member is sick for 2 months? or in a hospital? Are you gonna terminate his/her account for not visiting the forum once in 2 weeks? Just asking.:happysad:

Pretty much how it happens. Take it this way - if you were sick or in the hospital and didn't check in or call work for 2-4 weeks, would you still have a job? ... Probably not.
All they would have to do is ask a friend to contact one of the staff here and we'd take care of it for them.
We're not heartless.
Edit:
I agree - this is a concern to me also. It also sounds like the account will be shutdown and everything lost without having any warning. What if you go on a trekking holiday to Nepal for 2 months?

It would also be nice to have option to have email alerts on server issues instead (is this available?), and if nothing else, to have option for email reminder every 10 days or 2 weeks to log in to the forum and b) assurance that the account will not be deactivated without first attempting to contact the person. It would also be more reassuring if the account were only at first suspended for a month, with backup and easy restore - and only after then completely deleted. It would also be nice if could notify someone that will be away - and so have the 'vacation' from the forum.

There is an option in the forum to subscribe to sections of the forum ...
That is an idea. But you have to think also ... backups for every account? Thats space that could be used for other things.
Also, not everyone has correct e-mails setup, some don't check the e-mail accounts they signed up for. So, if we did e-mail, and 85% came back ... then we'd have to take time to sort through the e-mails, see who didn't get contacted.
We're not paid for what we do here. Just because I may be home 99% of the time, doesn't mean I want to spend my every waking moment holding someone's hand because they violated a rule they agreed not to break, or to chase them down and say "Oh. You have to log in or you will be suspended"

Last edited:

Dannz

Reaction score
Point taken. Just to clarify I was only suggesting that if an account has been suspended (probably only one which has been active), then and only then would there be a backup before deleting it off the system. That way if the person did come back from the dead, it could be restored. Then again can leave it to the individual to be responsible for.

Email reminders can be set up nicely in the webmail system - just have a recurring event in the calendar, and email yourself an invitation to the event.

Reassuring to know that if going away or a problem could email someone and let them know about this, and the account would not be deactivated.

I wouldn't expect extreme efforts to contact the person if the account was being deactivated - only an email sent to whatever email address they have provided. If they give a dud email address then that's their problem. Just one email warning giving 48hrs notice before the account is deactivated would be helpful.

knutico

Reaction score
hell, I even love coming down here and watch what's going on, yeah I need a job

The_Magistrate

Reaction score
Dannz has a point, which might be an interesting idea for the Dev team. Instead of emailing users by default every two weeks reminding them to sign-in (would probably be hell for the mail server), what about an opt-in mailing list. That way, the users who sign up for a hosting account wouldn't be automatically added to the list, instead it could be an option once their accounts were linked and they were active for a few weeks prior.