VPS - DNS Templates question

allofus

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a (paid) shared hosting package with x10hosting and I use it to host the domain 4allofus.com which I have registered with register.com.

I also have a VPS with x10hosting.

My question is;

Can I use the same domain for both hosts? for example
www.4allofus.com on shared
www.vps.4allofus.com on vps

I am pretty sure that this can be done but I do not even know where to begin, maybe you know exactly how to do this, maybe you can just point me in the right direction,

Thanks,
MattG - britishnproud

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
I believe there is something called CNAME, but it's not my field, so you better investigate on it.

allofus

Reaction score
I believe there is something called CNAME, but it's not my field, so you better investigate on it.

Thanks for the advice;

I will take a look and see where the trail leads. Am working overtime at the moment trying to get java JDK installed, but thats a whole other story.

If / When I do sort out 'CNAME' if indeed this is what I need to do I will report back here.

Take Care,
MattG

kajasweb

Reaction score
You just need the following A records in your DNS.

www.4allofus.com, *.4allofus.com - pointing to the server IP where you have your shared hosting account.

vps.4allofus.com and *.vps.4allofus.com - pointing to your VPS IP.

All the best.

allofus

Reaction score
You just need the following A records in your DNS.

www.4allofus.com, *.4allofus.com - pointing to the server IP where you have your shared hosting account.

vps.4allofus.com and *.vps.4allofus.com - pointing to your VPS IP.

All the best.

You just need....

I like your optimism kajasweb. Thanks for the advice, I will take a look at it tomorrow.

With lxadmin one has to create a DNS Template. I did add a bogus template, bogus data just to see what the next steps might be and when done there was scope for adding 'A records'. I can also add 'DNS SERVER NAMES' at the registrar so what you have said does kinda seem plausible, just need to see if I can make a little more sense of it all before I proceed.

I was following the ieda of seeking a DNS zone change via x10hosting staff, but before I 'bug' them I shall just have to do more reading.

Rome was not built in a day my friend and it stands to reason that it will take a while to demolish their shoddy workmanship. I am in this game for the long haul.

Peace Brother!

allofus

Reaction score
Hello again,

The 2 of you were very helpful indeed, set me on the right path, THANKS!!!

What I finished up doing, and got working was to change the nameservers back from ns1/2.x10hosting.com to the original register.com nameservers.

I needed to do this because register.com will only allow you to edit the A, AAAA, C, MX etc etc records if you are using their nameservers. Stands to reason.

A records
to IP of 4allofus.com
www to IP of 4allofus.com
vps to IP of vps.4allofus.com

to get around the dns template issues I added an accurate DNS template for 4allofus.com and then added a domain, 4allofus.com to the VPS. I then added several sub-domains to the VPS account and added their sub-name to the A Record

services > IP of VPS
ventrilo > IP of VPS
shoutcast > IP of VPS

Once this data was propagated all worked fine with 1 exception.

I am not sure if this issue is to do with the DNS, probably not actually, but anyway. Whenever I connect via FTP on the VPS I can download, have setup usernames and passwords and can only connect to said username with said password so all of that is setup right, but when I try to upload I get a 'permission denied error'.

I know I am using the FTP clients correct, dreamweaver and filezilla. Both still work as expected on 4allofus.com, but not on the VPS.

THere is a;
C Record
ftp > 4allofus.com

Is this an issue to do with permissions on the VPS setup or a DNS record issue?

kajasweb

Reaction score
DNS just points where ( which machine / IP ) to connect. This is an FTP permissions issue. Check the permissions you have given for the username on the directory you have tried to upload files.

allofus

Reaction score
DNS just points where ( which machine / IP ) to connect. This is an FTP permissions issue. Check the permissions you have given for the username on the directory you have tried to upload files.

YES,

Thanks. Having done a bit of reading on the topic I realised that I needed to change the chmod's to 755 or similar to allow for writing.

This and not having the 'root' as the owner.
Edit:
Things are still not working quite right...

Am I correct in thinking that if I create a DNS Template with lxadmin that I am in effect hosting nameservers?
If this is the case I should be able to add 3 name servers I think

The 2 nameservers provided by x10hosting for my shared hosting as well as a 3rd one ns1.4allofus.com for example.

Point this ns to my VPS IP and add a few A records to it.

I can then go back to my registrar )register.com) and add 3 nameservers to my account.

The x10hosting ns's will then work for the shared hosting and my VPS will do the rest.

OK, I am assuming all this makes sense and also assuming that the DNS template manager is basically a nameserver host feature, but does seem to make sense to me.

I contacted x10 hosting support and got a helpful reply back from David;

Hello Matthew,

You have a few options for domains in respect to a VPS.

1.) The A record of the VPS could be changed to reflect domains and sub-domains, which is done manually by x10Hosting Administrators. (Not ideal for users requiring many domains and sub-domains.)

2.) You can use a free DNS service such as OpenDNS (http://www.opendns.com/start). (More ideal for multiple domains and sub-domains, not ideal for domain automation.)

3.) Install your own Nameserver such as BIND (Named) on your VPS. WebMin (http://www.webmin.com) is a good solution giving you a nice interface to BIND that doesn't require work at the shell. This route is probably the most complex, and will require you to register your nameservers with your Qualified Registrar, which is an important step to setting up nameservers. This also requires the use of 2 (two) IP addresses to be RFC compliant and most Registrars will not allow only a singular IP. (Most ideal for users needing many domains and sub-domains, and for domain automation.)

-David

So I looked into BIND and when I did
yum list bind

bind.i386 is installed on the VPS.

there are a few updates available, but if this is not really what I need, why add to it?
Maybe the lxadmin DNS Template uses bind?

LINUX

Loathing
Inadequate
Underlings
XD

I draw this conclusion because most of the support manuals, forums, blogs, websites and videos I have watched are actually harder to follow than the problem one is trying to learn about.

If LINUX think they are going to replace or even give windows a run for their money they got another thing coming, really.

LINUX made easy.... MICROSOFT!!!

lol
Edit:
One other thing;

MX Records
Host Name Priority Mail Server
= .4allofus.com = =
= .4allofus.com = =

On register.com there is this form (above) and I am supposed to add the 'Host Name' and the 'Mail Server'

I am only interested in mail.4allofus.com... Emails are already being sent from the website, but I think they are being generated by php_mail. When I attempt to access my emails via IMAP I cannot connect. So assuming again I think I need to do something here to make it work, but am not sure what to do.

Trouble I am having here is that each registrar has it's own way of allowing for edits, so I read 1 tutorial, get a piece of advice or whatever and when I go to apply it the advice does not fit. In this case the form is asking different to what I have been told to do.... OMG.

If I knew this was going to be sooooo complicated I would have bought a tortoise instead.

Well I say complicated, actually it is all just 'new' and progress has been made. Our ventrilo server, shoutcast servers are running already and the site is running from 2 different servers also, so not bad going really. MORE is good though, hehehe.

The greatest pain has been getting JAVA and red5 server to talk nicely with one another, at present have rebuilt teh server and quit the project because I could not get it to work for love, nor money. MORE ON THAT LATER!
Edit:
****UPDATE****
I took another look at the webmin website and realised that although bind was installed, 'webmin' was not.

I followed this tutorial - http://www.webmin.com/rpm.html
and have installed webmin and it was painless. NOW I need to figure out how best to create my own nameservers for the VPS. When th task is complete I should be able to add the nameservers to my registrar.

Waffling, yes, getting there, absolutely.

Maybe this waffling will be of help to the next man?

Last edited: