wallpapers for 1440 x 900 resolution

delon

Banned
Reaction score
how can i make wallpapers for 1024 x 768 resolution look compatible for 1440 x 900 resolution.

Nathan H

Reaction score
well, making a wallpaper at 1440x900 can be scaled by the computer to look ok on 1024x768. It can also be done the other way with slight quality loss if you REALLY need the hdd space.

kirtik

Reaction score
1440x900 is widescreen, but 1024x768 is not... I'd say it would be better to just make two different versions.

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
Or you could crop off the edge if you didn't want it?

DIGI_Byte

Reaction score
If your any good with photoshop or similar software you could crop the top and bottom and scale it up and sharpen the image slightly to clean up any blurring or scale it down and touch up the edges.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
It'd be best to make wallpapers for the most common screen sizes. 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x800, 1680x1050. Those are the most common, and people who have larger screens like me for gaming will obviously run at a higher res as well.

delon

Banned
Reaction score
I have a wallpaper of Katrina Kaif in 1024 x 768 resolution and i have monitor of 1440 x 900 resolution, i want the wallpaper to somehow fit perfectly without losing it's quality. how can i do that.

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
It's going to be a bit tricky. Basically, you need to spend some time in Photoshop or something, making sure you do not change the picture's Aspect Ratio and you need to blur and sharpen it up. It's going to take some work though to get it to fit without looking pixelated.

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
dont you just strech it? in the background?

Stretching the picture will both screw up the aspect ratio of it and will pixelate it. While it is possible, it won't be in a good quality.

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
I'd suggest changing the image size (whilst retaining the aspect ratio) so the X component is 1440 (it'll be 1440*1080 I believe...), then try cropping it to 1440x900. If it looks as though you're missing too much of the image, lower the Y component of the image size whilst keeping X at 1440 (yes, it'll modify the aspect ratio, but most of the time it's gonna be hard to tell the difference anyway. It'd be an acceptable loss. Keep changing that until it's good enough.

My TV does the same. It's Widescreen, and as well as showing the entire frame with big black borders, there's an option to zoom in a little (with smaller black bands at the left and right), zoom in a lot (so there are no black bands, but it chops a lot off the top and bottom), widescreen mode where it simply stretches it, and 'Super Wide', where it stretches it to widescreen, and makes the frame slightly taller. This way, people don't look so stretched that they look ridiculous, etc.

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
You're going to lose quality by scaling it to that resolution regardless. If you really want that wallpaper, contact the person who made it and ask for more resolutions.

What you could do is keep it as its current size, but have Windows fill in black around all the edges (it will look boxed in)

alz45

Reaction score
It actually depends on how detailed the wallpaper is, if it's really detailed with lots of stuff on it, then it won't resize with the same quality, and you probably won't be able to get it bigger without remaking it, but if it's simple, like this: http://webhelp.x10hosting.com/downloads/1280x800/001.png . You can resize it without loosing quality, the only way to find out is to try. (Note: I've tested it with that background and it resizes fine.)

Last edited: