Website php help

Newby

Reaction score
Hi not sure if this is the right place but I could do with some advice on adding text to a php page.
No point in going into detail till I know im on the right forum.
Thanks for reading.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
The correct forum would be Scripts, 3rd Party Apps, and Programming. You can probably expect fairly quick responses for n00b and intermediate-level questions, since there are quite a few members here who have the basics. You might find that a web search for your problem (paying close attention to results at StackOverflow) or asking on an outside experts-oriented forum is better for the hard problems, though (and there are some fundamentally hard problems in computing, some of which intuitively seem like they should be simple).

Newby

Reaction score
The correct forum would be Scripts, 3rd Party Apps, and Programming. You can probably expect fairly quick responses for n00b and intermediate-level questions, since there are quite a few members here who have the basics. You might find that a web search for your problem (paying close attention to results at StackOverflow) or asking on an outside experts-oriented forum is better for the hard problems, though (and there are some fundamentally hard problems in computing, some of which intuitively seem like they should be simple).

Hi thanks for the reply.
I think it should be easy?
My site is http://skegnesscaravan.x10.mx/
and if you check the page http://skegnesscaravan.x10.mx/caravan-hire-m-z/sunnymede-caravan-park/
between the navigation bar and the first listing is information text. The trouble being this is a set width and ony allows 2 lines of text. I am looking to make it automatically stretch to fit several lines of text.
but dont know the code or which file needs to be edited.
I will copy this over to the correct forum

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
The problem is with the theme's CSS file (themes/wpClassifieds/style.css). Or, rather, the problem is that you are not using the theme the way the designer intended — you have the description text in an area that was designed to contain the breadcrumb navigation, which should never spill onto a second line, let alone more than that.

Go to the file I've pointed to, and find the line that says:

Code:
.breadcrumb {background: #EAF6E5;font-size: 11px;margin: 0px 0px 0px 0px;padding: 5px 10px 5px 10px;-moz-border-radius: 3px;-khtml-border-radius: 3px;-webkit-border-radius: 3px;height:20px;}

Replace it with:

Code:
.breadcrumb {background: #EAF6E5;font-size: 11px;margin: 0px 0px 0px 0px;padding: 5px 10px 5px 10px;-moz-border-radius: 3px;-khtml-border-radius: 3px;-webkit-border-radius: 3px; border-radius: 3px;}

The height setting is what's preventing the div from growing (and since there is padding around the text content, it's not necessary at all).

The theme is an older one, going by the CSS file; most of the vendor-prefixed stuff (-moz-whatever, -khtml-whatever, -webkit-whatever) hasn't been necessary for at least three years, and there are no standard (non-prefixed) values.

Newby

Reaction score
Hi and thank you.
The code change has worked perfect. :smile:

When in the Admin area and it asks you to enter a discription this is the area it appears in?

But it matters not as the code has worked a treat
Thank you

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Okay, I'll move the blame uphill a bit then: the theme developer, it seems, was deliberately misusing a WordPress feature. Odd, that, since adding his feature would have been easier and less likely to cause problems in the future (should he have decided that breadcrumbs actually are a useful navigation feature and wanted to re-add them to a new version of the theme). I'm sure it must have made some kind of sense at the time...