What are the DNS nameservers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nonis

Reaction score
I just bought a domain, and it says I need to put in dns nameservers. I'm new to this kinda, so what do I put?

Brandon

Former Senior Account Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
Code:
ns1.x10hosting.com
ns2.x10hosting.com

Cynical

Reaction score
They are ns1.x10hosting.com and ns2.x10hosting.com. If it asks for a third, leave it blank.

EDIT: Brandon... :(

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have a problem, anyway I have just bought a domain from domaindirect.com and it isn't working. When I go to change the nameservers it says that if I change the primary nameserver from 'ns1.domaindirect.com' it will erase my account. I need to change my nameserver to 'ns1.x10hosting.com' for it to work so what do I do? My domain address is http://www.halonirvana.com and my website is http://www.halonirvana.x10hosting.com.

Starshine

Legend Killer
Reaction score
I have a problem, anyway I have just bought a domain from domaindirect.com and it isn't working. When I go to change the nameservers it says that if I change the primary nameserver from 'ns1.domaindirect.com' it will erase my account. I need to change my nameserver to 'ns1.x10hosting.com' for it to work so what do I do? My domain address is http://www.halonirvana.com and my website is http://www.halonirvana.x10hosting.com.

Wow. I've never heard of a domain company telling someone their account would be lost if they changed the nameserver of a domain they owned.
Can you possibly give us a screenshot of this warning / threat ?? It may be possible that it was taken out of context.

YamiKaitou

Reaction score
I don't see any place saying they will delete the domain, just the additional services they provide. Domain Direct is not the only Domain provider that does that, there are a few out there that prevent you from using their services (besides the use of the domain) if you change the default nameservers

YamiKaitou

Reaction score
Okay, do whatever you want. I am just saying how I understand what it is saying

Zenax

Reaction score
I think it is a bit harsh for you to blame him if you loose your domain. It really has nothing to do with him if you loose it, he was just point out his oppinion!

I highly doubt you will get deleted, all they do is remove the extra services to the account if you change the dns. No where in that screen shots does it mention that your domain Will be deleted!

--
Zenax

Starshine

Legend Killer
Reaction score
The big red message says :

Your Zone file will be deleted in 48 hrs. At that time, your Domain Direct services will no longer function. To prevent this from happening, reset your nameservers to the Domain Direct defaults.

I can see where you think they say your account will be deleted. But I have to agree that they just remove services ( since you are not longer really using them, but pointing your domain elsewhere.

Honestly, I don't see why people go to other places when at the top of the page, there is these two words that I bet would of answered all your questions if you would of just clicked it. It clearly states "Customer Service". You could of asked them to clarify, what services you lose if you change your nameservers, etc.

Micro

Retired staff <i> (11-12-2008)</I>
Reaction score
Fine, I'll change the nameservers to the x10hosting ones. If I get my domain deleted I'm blaming it on you.

It states that it will delete the zone file, not your domain (Although i would have thought if they deleted your zone file then your domain will not route anywhere...)

Don't blame us if it does happen, remember to use reputable companies to purchase stuff online.

Status
Not open for further replies.