What is the best and easiest webdesign software?

jeena1

Reaction score
Hello,

i need to make a business website for a company. i'm using dreamweaver but it is kind of difficult to understand how to do frames and make frame sheets (i think i said that right). anyone know of an easier and the best webdesign software that i could use?

akkudreamz

Reaction score
frames should be avoided unless necessary
Dreamweaver is d best web design software
you can also try Frontpage

tittat

Reaction score
Have you tried coffeecup???
Or use Frontpage.
Or use a CMS (Content Management System) like Joomla...

auriclux

Reaction score
I'm a rank beginner, but I have been using the free D/L version of the CoffeeCup html editor, and for me it is pretty intuitive. I found dreamweaver to be too ... 'distant' from the code. I'm almost on the cusp of dipping in the piggy bank to buy the wysiwyg editor from CoffeeCup.

dariusdr

Reaction score
Hi jeena1.. i think you should learn XHTML and CSS (and while you're at it, add in some PHP) first before you delve into any webdesign software! The benefits to you as a designer and your company are plenty.

Having said that, I highly recommend adding in WordPress to the mix (a free, open-source content management system (CMS), or effectively, a "website application"), to further speed up your creation of a website!

Good luck and cheers!

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Dreamweaver is the best webdesign software on the market. I don't really understand why do you think it's difficult. I used it since who knows when and never had any problems with it.

I found dreamweaver to be too ... 'distant' from the code

What are you talking about? :dunno: You can always select "code" view. DW CS4 has about 8 predefined GUI versions to choose from. Instead of using "Designer" you could use "Coder" one. And when it gets to code editor I don't think there is a better one then that in DW.

As mentioned before, try to avoid frames. Use them only if necessary (but I don't see a reason to use them).

burner35

Reaction score
There are too many webdesign tools out there (free and paid). DW CS4, I find the most easiest webdesign tool out there, but with the cost involved, your really getting your moneys worth. :)

Going to agree with leviathon on that one ;)

LHVWB

Reaction score
Basically Dreamweaver writes hideous html code, so you probably want to avoid relying on its wysiwyg editor (as leviathon said you can use the code view, and it is really worth learning some html to be able to more effectively edit the pages), although its site manager and other tools are extremely useful.

freecrm

Reaction score
I have used Dreamweaver for about 5 years and now feel perfectly at home with it, either diaply or coding view; however, if you rely to much on ANY WYSIWYG editor, the program is likely to write code that a) you don't understand and b) could be hideously wrong!

As previously stated. get a basic understanding of html first so that when your super-duper editor is purchased and starts auto writing hundreds of code lines for you, you at least have an idea of why its doing it! (try writing simple code in notepad and previewing in a browser on your desktop!)

That said, the Adobe CS Suite is a fantastic, industry standard package that, when you get to grips with it, will serve you well for the rest of your life!

_________

it's not entirely fair to say that DW writes hideous code... its just a little over cautious!

A good example would be form submitting for SQL statements - it also cleans the entered data. The result is lots of code thats tricky to get to grips with but it does the job well.

I must admit though, its use of auto-code layout is poor - leaving you with time needed to clean it up if you want to view/edit the code directly.

Last edited:

frankfriend

Reaction score
It'll really pay off to learn html, and get to understand it properly. FrontPage is dead! Microsoft have an Express edition of a web site designer, but I haven't tried it at all. As you have Dreamweaver, do work through the on board tutorials - it is really worth it.

Do NOT use frames, Tables etc and separate Content and Format - in other words use CSS for formatting. Again it is a bit of effort, but start small and build up.

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Do NOT use frames, Tables etc

I don't entirely agree with you here. Tables are still a useful thing you know. Did you meant "don't use tables to define your layout" cos that's more appropriate.

And yes I guess you can say "don't use frames at all!" :)

darkuredi

Reaction score
Firstly I would like to say that frames are incredibly temperamental and it is worthwhile to stay away from using them. My personal preference - staying rather small-game are DIV's.
On the other hand if you gain more experience you can get a similar - but much more reliable effect to frames using PHP and if I remember correctly CSS.
Something that has not yet been mentioned program-wise is Serif WebPlus, this is a completely different way of working and is much more suited to complete beginners. While still being able to achieve some fantastic effects. It is an incredibly cheap and I also believe there is a freeware old version available on the internet.
I cannot give any more suggestions or opinions however as I have got stuck into the habit of coding by hand, having tried dreamweaver I personally did not like it.

Zdroyd

Reaction score
Easy is not always a good thing.

I suggest Frontpage or Dreamweaver. But if you plan to use Dreamweaver you should also get Flash and Fireworks, which are very complementary to web design.

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
You Could Use BlueVoda It a User-Friendly Software but you have to buy it.:cool::cool:

Man, even their own site terrible. It's a school example of how it should not be done. And you actually have to pay for it :nuts:

When I see something like this it makes me proud to be an expensive web designer :thefinger