What is wrong?

VeggieBoy

Reaction score
What is wrong with everything. This is why I am asking. This woman I met today... Well she was crying at the check out in the store. She had like 10 dollars worth of 50 cent cans of food. The reason was because she was laid off of work and her electric bill was like 250 dollars... She couldn't buy groceries and she had a 5 year old and a new born! Her boyfriend left her and she had no help... I couldn't help it, but I spent like 200 bucks on groceries and some other necessities. Was I wrong to do so? What is wrong with this world?

Last edited:

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Don't ask me, but a $250 electric bill? Geez. With a 240v AC (two 120v lines bonded in the breaker box), 5 computers (one sucking up nearly an amp of power, hehe) running all the time, along with our other heavy duty appliances and everything, and my electric bill stays under $70 at most during the summer. I wonder how she got that big of a bill. Otherwise, that's one reason why it's not a good idea to get in the dating business, because if someone gets dumped/left, then there goes most of the cash for someone.

But this brings up another question, what's with everyone getting laid off of their jobs lately? Messed up economy?

Last edited:

VeggieBoy

Reaction score
I don't know why it was 250... She lives in a 2 bedroom 1 bath duplex. It is like 1000 square feet, probably less. *she just laid out her life story pretty much...*

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
Sounds like a mis-billing to me, unless the electricity around there is expensive.

oiwio

Reaction score
maybe the company was just taking advantage of her. And was her newborn that boyfriend's kid as well? Becuase if it was, she would get some kind of child-support from him right?

Swiblet

Reaction score
We only have 2 computers in my house, the water heater gets turned off until an hour before and after we shower, we turn the pool pump off, and our electric bill is 350 DOLLARS. Yeah, this is definitely possible.

As for you...no, you weren't wrong. You are more fortunate than her. That's it. She will find her way, I'm sure. There's always a way out of any problem - one just has to care enough to find it.

~~B3N

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
We only have 2 computers in my house, the water heater gets turned off until an hour before and after we shower, we turn the pool pump off, and our electric bill is 350 DOLLARS. Yeah, this is definitely possible.

As for you...no, you weren't wrong. You are more fortunate than her. That's it. She will find her way, I'm sure. There's always a way out of any problem - one just has to care enough to find it.

~~B3N

Do you have a fully electric water heater? I have a gas here, so that might explain something.

Swiblet

Reaction score
Not really, because the heater is only on for a total of 1.5 hours a day o_O But yes, it's electric.

~~B3N

ravravrav

Reaction score
Too bad for the lady - but when you think about the whole world is full of misery, whether you have money or not. Having said that, everyone also has their own things which makes them happy throughout the day. I think we all see some situation where we want to help, and which makes us feel as though we are spendthrifts, but there are so many of these situations it would consume an entire life to help each and every single person like this. Also note that from a humanitarian perspective these ideas are good and morally just but from a naturalistic point of view you have to accept this is life and things could be much worser. Also consider whether this woman would help you if it was the other way round. And finally there is the karmic notion that what goes around comes around - maybe she was an arrogant ***** and this is what she deserves, or maybe she will eventually get her dues. The overall point is it's good to offer help if you feel that way inclined, and it's just as fine to concentrate on your life if you feel that way inclined. I think we ALL have problems and if we can spare even one action for the benefit of someone else that is very noble, but if they can't do the same for us all don't blame them, it's just how Nature is...

medphoenix

Reaction score
Can't believe anyone in this world, even our shadow! her history may be true, but We don't have enough evidence to believe her. If you have lot of money and want to give some amount to poor people, ofcourse you did correct.

Last edited: