What should be in the root directory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpakidz

Reaction score
I hope that this is the right forum for this question. I am using FireFTP to upload my site and rather than uploading to the 'public_html' directory, like I know that I am supposed to, I accidentally posted everything to the root directory.

How do I know what is 'supposed' to be there (for site functionality) and what I can delete (for security and cleanliness' sake)? Can someone help me out with this?

Please and thank you!!

sunils

Reaction score
Check the screen shot that i have attached here. Though it contains some extra directory, you can refer this.

Attachments

• screenshot.JPG
    screenshot.JPG
    11.8 KB · Views: 41

Sohail

Reaction score
You don't need to delete anything in the root directory, most of those files are important for hosting, logs, cPanel and security.

The public HTML folder is where you should put all your site's files, including your index.

bpakidz

Reaction score
You don't need to delete anything in the root directory, most of those files are important for hosting, logs, cPanel and security.

The public HTML folder is where you should put all your site's files, including your index.

I know that everything should be in the public_html directory. That's why I am asking what I can delete. I accidentally posted everything to the root. I want to know which file folders must remain to keep my site functional. I don't want my site folders there, but don't want to delete the wrong ones, either. That's why I asked the question the way I did. Thanks, though.

sunils

Reaction score
Closing the thread, since the issue is solved. The author can reopen it again at any time.

Status
Not open for further replies.