who here uses game maker?

freestuff

Reaction score
I do. I think it's great, and it's really not as limiting as people realise. It's just because people make low quality games. If you're interested in Game Maker, follow this link:
http://www.gamemaker.nl

So..anyone else use it? Or am I the oddball who does? :greddy2:

swirly

Reaction score
i believe there was a topic on this before...ill find it real quick brb...

swirly

Reaction score
naw naw its kool i didnt find it anyways lol but yeah i use it...im thinkin bout makin a hacker type game.

Cynical

Reaction score
I remember that topic but it has gotta be a couple years old...

A few people around here do, including myself (if you are a member of the GMC you may have seen me or Chirantha around there, and we are both also members here). I've been using it since 2002, so I consider myself a pretty experienced user...

I agree totally that GM is often underestimated. Many people consider it a tool for only beginners because of its friendly interface, but as you know it is a very capable program :).

SEÑOR

The Guy Everyone Hates
Reaction score
Is it hard? Id like to try it. ANy1 know any tutorials?

Last edited:

Cynical

Reaction score
It's not hard at all. I started learning with hardly and computer skills at all (never mind programming) in 6th grade. There are plenty of "official" tutorials on gamemaker.nl and hundreds more by advanced users on the Game Maker Community (GMC: forums.gamemaker.nl). Most users start off using GM's drag-and-drop actions, which are very helpful in seeing how a game's actions are structured. From there most learn Game Maker's built-in programming language called GML (Game Maker Language... hehe), which can most easily be compared to PHP. I highly recommend it for anyone who wishes to make their own games, programs, or screen savers :) .

noerrorsfound

Reaction score
freestuff said:
I do. I think it's great, and it's really not as limiting as people realise. It's just because people make low quality games. If you're interested in Game Maker, follow this link:
http://www.gamemaker.nl

So..anyone else use it? Or am I the oddball who does? :greddy2:
People make crappy games in every language and using every game making tool or engine. This is just plain limited so much that the cons outweight the pros. It's going to stay limited forever I guess, according to what mark overmars says. Want something changed in a future version? From what I remember he said that he wouldn't make GM actually compile games because it would require too much coding.
Cynical said:
I highly recommend it for anyone who wishes to make their own games, programs, or screen savers :) .
I highly don't. Even being a registered user. $20 NOT worth spending. If you want to make a successful game stay away from this useless junk. Game Maker ensures that your game will have no future. No cross platform development. No console development. Have you ever seen a GM game in walmart? Advertised on TV? In a game magazine about the latest and greatest hits? Don't expect to be taken seriously by real game developers. If you're just a person who doesn't care about creating good or successful games, and for some reason uses Windows as their primary OS and doesn't care about the second most used operating system called linux, never plans to make any money or have their game known by more than those within forum of Game Maker, doesn't mind making a slower "game" than you'd get when you made a real game, likes being seen as a a joke by actual programmers, Game Maker is perfect. It's great for you. I can't change your mind. Good luck and have fun.

Python doesn't seem so hard to learn. Nearly everyone will recommend it to others as an easy to learn language, even if you've never programmed before.

C++ is, yeah, hard. But in the end it's what you'll probably want if you want to, you know, make a really successful game like the ones in today's market. Python is great too, I just haven't heard of a game that uses it yet, there are probably some. But it's cross platform at least.

freestuff

Reaction score
@Koshimi: we're all entitled to our own opinion :) But, to be honest, I'm only 15 so it's limitations don't bother me, since I'm not dedly serious about game development. It's just a hobby
:drama:

@SEÑOR: I'll help you! ;)

@Cynical: Go you!

@swirly: If you need help, I can try :)

The gamemakergames forums are down! :pat:

Cynical

Reaction score
@Koshimi: Game Maker is only as "limited" as you want it to be. It by itself can be found to be incapable of many tasks, but it is possible to execute external DLLs written in C++, Pascal, and BASIC (any variation of BASIC afaik). Yes, I advise C++ over GM if you plan on taking courses and dedicating a lot of time to learning it, but in the end what is more important: The quality of the game or how it was made?

Game Maker isn't meant to be the greatest tool: Its developer, Professor Mark Overmars, intended this program to be the first step for people who have the desire to create their own games, but over the years it has become far more powerful, to the point where some of the best GM-made games have sold hundreds of copies and made it onto various gaming magazines/ezines.

So, I DO recommend this program before diving into C++, especially if you have never programmed a game before. GM makes it extremely simple to learn the "ins and outs" of how the game works, and this knowledge can seriously help make learning how to develop games in other languages much easier.

-

I've never tried RPG maker, then again, I'm not a huge fan of RPGs, so it really wouldn't be that much fun to me.

noerrorsfound

Reaction score
Cynical said:
@Koshimi: Game Maker is only as "limited" as you want it to be.
Any way to get a game working on linux then? That's a big factor, since it's the second most used operating system in the world... is there some magic DLL for gm exes to work on, lets say, ubuntu?

Last edited:

swirly

Reaction score
ook well i use game maker too. but guess wat? im a programmer! lol i mean i prefer it becuase im lazy i guess...i dont feel like going in and coding te functions for the game like i do a prog i mean i could learn to do it if i felt like it, sure. but i mean i guess the real thing is that people are lazy, or it can also be looked at as ifpeople have that kind of computer skills. i mean my cousin who uses it, he would be like basic? wtf is that and so would my friends. but thats my opinon.... as for linux idk, got to the site...

Cynical

Reaction score
Game Maker is not compatible with Linux (or any other OS other than Windows) because it requires DirectX 8.

EDIT: Is Linux really the second most popular? I can't find any statistics online, I would have guessed OS X would have been next after Windows...

Last edited:

noerrorsfound

Reaction score
Cynical said:
Game Maker is not compatible with Linux (or any other OS other than Windows) because it requires DirectX 8.

EDIT: Is Linux really the second most popular? I can't find any statistics online, I would have guessed OS X would have been next after Windows...
But the option could be added to use OpenGL. I know I get better performance from games when I switch it from DirectX to OpenGL in the settings menu (runs faster, graphics look nicer).

About it being the most popular, keep in mind I'm talking about Windows in general (Not just XP). I don't mean, out of the different Windows versions, because if you do it like that then a certain version of Windows is going to be the second most used also. Just like I say Linux and not a specific distro of Linux.

Last edited:

03moscropl

Flash Freak
Reaction score
gamemaker was ok buying the lisence was a waste 3 weeks later i was making flash games instead!

Josh1billion

Reaction score
I used to use it, starting in around 2001 with version 3.3. I was probably one of the most well-known members of the community. :) I stopped using Game Maker after about a year or two to focus on C++.

LyteNight

Reaction score
I use GameMaker. I tried RPG Maker once, made a quick game and it was dumb. I know GML and PHP (go figure) and I frequently love working on big open-source projects.

warlordste

Reaction score
i used to use it don't that much any more but i am thinking about gettin back into it :p

Limvot

Reaction score
I use it, i started when i was 11 or 12. It is really easy, and not limiting at all. Can be confusing sometimes, but only becaluse i didnt read directions... thay have version 7 out now.