• Hell yes!

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • Yes

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

David

IRC: For Cool People!
Reaction score
IRC, or Internet Relay Chat, is yet another unexplored faucet of the x10 community.

IRC is one of the more interesting methods of communicating as it's slightly more fast-paced. By this I mean, where in a forum there may be several threads each discussing topic, it could take minutes or hours to get a reply. In IRC, it takes a matter of seconds, because you are communicating in real time with real people across the globe.

Another interesting, and very cool, feature of IRC would be the ability to create your own custom, or personal "channel" or "room" where you can invite your friends to discuss whatever you would like. A channel is comparable to forum on this board. You might want a channel to discuss purely php, well then you could /join #php and if it's not already registered by someone else you can register it with your friendly neighborhood service ChanServ. If it is taken, don't dispair, JOIN IN and have fun, that's what IRC is for!

Something many users like to take advantage of is the ability to change your "mask" or nickname, comparable to a username on the forums, to suit your mood, the conversation, or for a touch of situational comedy.

Among all of this complete, utter, and absolute coolness, there are a few downsides. Moderators in IRC, more on these later, are often more strict because of IRC's inherent nature. We cannot edit or delete the links you post or the things you say, once typed it's there forever (or until the screen scrolls up.)

Those of you who have used, or currently use AIM, YIM, ICQ, Skype, or any other instant messaging service might be familiar with the pace of IRC and the way conversation flows (unpredictably :p). So for those of you who have no idea what real time communication is like, I'll include some of the basics below.

First off, there is a certain etiquette that we all follow out of respect for other users:

-> Pasting large amounts of text is a bad idea, and is considered flooding, and will usually be rewarded with a kick from a channel operator.
-> Typing in all CAPS should be avoided as it's considered shouting and can be disruptive, and many users find it rude.
-> PMing every user in a channel until you get a response is rude and unappreciated by most users.
-> PMing users as soon as they join just to say "Hi" is also rude, unless you actually plan on talking to them. When multiple users join at a time, a simple "Hi" or "Hello" generally sufices, however you may choose to become overwhelmed by my greatness and bow to me, or you might decide to wave.
-> Tlkin lik dis is cofusing n we don lik it all dat much cuz like w cnt understnd u 2 save our lives. Trust me, IRC is not a race to see who can get their response out first. I'd rather wait a few seconds while you pecked out each letter an comma than read something like I wrote above. Ususally someone, often me, will ask you to not use "Net speak" and ignore you if you continue.

IRC Heirarchy:

IRCoPs - IRC Operators - A set of users who have juresdiction over the entire network, and keep up with the day-to-day operations of IRC. These are select x10 Staff members and x10Administrators. There are many different types of IRCoPs, which is beyon the scope of discussion here, however all of these users have the ability to disconnect you from a server (known as a "kill", ban you from a server (Known as a "K:LINE" or "G:LINE") as well as having access to all channel priveleges in every channel. They usually only take action in more "extreme" situations.

ChanOps - Channel Operators - are channel "moderators" and are not always members of x10Staff unless in an x10 channel. They keep channels running smoothly and have the ability to remove, ban, or silence you on channels where they have access. IRCoPs generally cannot rebuke channel operators for being "unfair" unless they are a member of staff in an official channel. There are various levels of ChanOps which are listed below:

Founder [~] [+q]: Have total control over a channel and cannot be banned or kicked by another ChanOp.

Super Operator (SOp) [&] [+ao]: Have total control over a channel and can only be kicked by another SOp or the Founder of that channel.

Assistant Operator (AOp) [@] [+o]: Have nearly total control over a channel and can only be kicked by an SOp, AOp, or the Founder.

Half Operator (HOp) [#] [+h]: Have slightly less control than a AOp and can only be kicked by an HOp, SOp, AOp, or the Founder.

Voice Operator (VOp) [+] [+v]: These users only special ability is to talk when the channel has be "silenced" (the mode +m has been added). They cannot kick or ban users, and is usually only given to "regulars" or friends of the ChanOps. (It is possible to give these users other abilities, but it's rare.)

The main general chat channel in IRC is #offtopic, however you may decide that you want to join another channel or register a new one to call your own.

To join any channel, type:
/JOIN #channel_name [password]
([password] need only be present when joining a password protected channel. (those with +k set).)

If you have joined a channel and it is not already registered, you may choose to do so by typing:
/CS REGISTER #channel password A brief channel description
--or--
/MSG CHANSERV REGISTER #channel password A brief channel description

Should you decide to change your Nick (username) type:
/NICK NewUserName

If you want to register your nickname (so nobody else can use it and pretend to be you) type:
/NS REGISTER password E-mail
--or--
/MSG NICKSERV REGISTER password E-mail

After you have registered your nick, you will be prompted upon connecting to the server that you need to identify. If you don't do this your nick could get changed by NickServ to something generic like Guest12456. You can identify by typing:
/IDENTIFY password
--or--
/MSG NICKSERV IDENTIFY password

If you ever need help with commands for ChanServ or NickServ, you can view their respective help systems:
ChanServ:
/CS help
--or--
/MSG CHANSERV help
NickServ:
/NS help
--or--
/MSG NICKSERV help

There are various ways to communicate in IRC, one is public meaning you type directly to the channel and everyone in the channel can read what you're typing. The other two are more "private" (remember there is no "privacy" on the Internet). Just like these forums, you can open a PM, or Personal/Private Message by simply typing:
/MSG NickName Something to say here.
You can also send them something called a Notice, usually for sending someone a link without really wanting to open a whole new window. Conversations are rarely carried out via a Notice as it's impractical. Notices usually appear in the same window you're chatting in but are *not* visible to anyone but you. A Notice can be sent by typing:
/NOTICE NickName Something to say...

So, let's assume your nickname on IRC is "NickName", and mine is Exembar, you would recieve something like this:
[06:38] --Exembar-- Something to say...

I'll try to keep tabs on this thread, and answer any questions you have about IRC. However, I would be more than happy to answer questions you might have about IRC *in* IRC, as would most users. Look for me there as "David".
You should address a question to the room at large first (Hey, I do have a job and stuff, and I tend to enjoy my sleep when I get it.)

Now, all this time I've been going on and on and on about IRC and yet you have no idea what in the hell I'm talking about. Well, to your right, in this neato little box thing with some rounded corners (which is over lapping the box I'm typing in so I can see the bottom left corner's right-angledness (not a word? You don't say!)) you'll see a link called IRC Chat. Click on that and BAM! you're there.

If you're using a client, use the server address irc.x10hosting.com and use the port 6667, if your client supports a secure connection, connect on 8080.

You might also consider downloading one of the many IRC Clients available. (I'll list a few below, feel free to suggest your own.)
mIRC
xChat
IceChat -- My client (I'm looking to change it, but it has some nice features):dunno:
ChatZilla

Bersirc

Search Google for IRC clients.
Review of IRC clients on Wikipedia
Article about IRC from Wikipedia

zen-r

Reaction score
I'd have thought another unfortunate downside of IRC for x10 is that if people chat there instead of in the forums, it doesn't help build x10's page ranking, community appeal, & ultimately, web-presence.

Some useful points in your post, Exembar. Perhaps this should be moved to tutorials? As you say, IRC is an unknown area for most people.

David

Reaction score
Well, forum posts ultimately do little for x10's Web presence. Go ahead and Google x10Hosting, the top results are not forum result. Web crawlers don't like to index forums but they do so. Mainly because forums are dynamic, they change far more often than an actual Web page.

Sure, it's important for users to use the forums, but why not explore the IRC faucet of our community? If you join right now, at the time of this posting, there are a total of 9 people connected over the whole network and all 9 are sitting in #offtopic. Oh, wait no, that stupid bot is back again. (/me goes off to get rid of it) anyway, IRC is a valuable and highly interesting and entertaining way of communicating with the same people you talk to on the forums, only in real time.

Some of you may be afraid to connect or may think they are not welcome because of a past bug where users were automatically "permanently banned because open proxies were found on your host" by our BOPM. If you try to connect and get a similar message, send me an E-mail at (david [at] x10hosting [dot] com) and I can look into it and help you get connected. You don't know what you guys are missing out on.

I forgot to mention in the first post, we have stats:

http://stats.x10hosting.com (If you join IRC and ask someone will tell you how to get your name to turn blue or pink when you make it into the stats depending on your gender. Beat me, and I might find something to give you. (you're going to have to talk a lot, and spam won't be counted. :p))

At any rate come join us all in IRC, we'll leave the er, (*want's to say lights*) mini-bar unlocked for you. (Yes, we have a minibar, yet another perk of IRC.)

This is really poorly written as I have to work at 4 pm and it's 3 pm now and I still need to get ready. But yeah IRC!

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
IRC is cool. I have noticed that x10's IRC has been down for a while now (Trillian refuses to connect to it).

David

Reaction score
Well, x10 IRC is NOT down, if it were to go down, and it hasn't since I upgraded the IRCd a while back, it would be back up in a matter of seconds. Sadly, IRC is plagued by the disappearing DNS issue which would prevent users from connecting.

Are you getting any specific message when you cannot connect?

-David

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Well, x10 IRC is NOT down, if it were to go down, and it hasn't since I upgraded the IRCd a while back, it would be back up in a matter of seconds. Sadly, IRC is plagued by the disappearing DNS issue which would prevent users from connecting.

Are you getting any specific message when you cannot connect?

-David

Nope. It just says that the DNS had resolved, however it was unable to gain a connection. Trying again later, it connected without issues.

Last edited:

Russ

<b>Retired *****</b>
Reaction score
We are working on this, for some reason it kicks the DNS out every so often, and we have to re-add it.