Working with Dreamweaver cs3?

bensbox

Reaction score
Hey.. I need help
I am trying to run and practice creating websites in my spare time and i am starting from scratch, i have tried to find tutorials etc and books but i cant find an answer..
I want to know how i can control my x10host site from home on dreamweaver..
if anyone has this and knows how to could you please give me a step by step how to add my site to dreamweaver and what i need to enter as i dont know where to find all the info..
Please help.
Many thanks.
Ben.

I MAINLY NEED THE
FTP ADDRESS OR HOST NAME
AND WHERE TO FIND SERVER FOLDER

SO THAT I CAN ACCESS THIS FROM DREAMWEAVER

Last edited:

Sundowner

Reaction score
I use Dreamweaver 8, there is a pretty exhaustive help file that comes with all dreamweaver software packages, all your answers can be found in there.

F1 on your keyboard should find it for you. Detailed explanations on how to connect using server technology should be found in the help file as well. I'm not great at explaining stuff but if your really stuck, post again and I will try

bensbox

Reaction score
I don't know where I am supposed to find the information needed on x10hosting, and what server or w,e it asks.. i know how to create a new site, just i dont know what i am supposed to be entering to create my site at home.
thanks though.

kwhweb

Prime Account
Reaction score
My understanding is this:

In DWCS3, setup your local site on your local drive
with a name like bens_site then construct the directory
structure (images, php, scripts, flv etc) under that and
build / create your site within that structure.

when you ready to login to the server (whichever one you use)
you are effectively ready to move everything from the bens_site
folder to the remote server folder (eg. home/username). the home
(or public or users) folder takes the place of "bens_site" as container

DWCS3 allows you to construct using site root relative and/or absolute
addresses... this means that wherever your index page resides, all same
level or lower level folder references will be created accordingly, whether
on the local or remote server. you can scan for broken links and update.

as to FTP... it is in define sites, new/edit on the local site and remote site
tab, where you would put yourdomainname.hostname.xxx, your remote root
folder name (such as public, home or users) and your username and password

to do this at x10 you need to setup properly to have a hosting service.
i have been having difficulty with getting DWCS3 ftp to connect. there
are a myriad of possible reasons for that.

hope this helps. kenh.

Last edited:

jsobeck

Reaction score
For the server, just use your site (whatever.x10hosting.com or yourdomain.com). If it is asking for a remote server folder, you could use /, or /public_html/ if you want to get right to where you upload your files. (If / doesn't work, try \, some programs are different.)

GamingX

Executive Team
Reaction score
This should be in the freehosting forums.This forum is only for feedbacks and suggestions on X10

wunsbe

Reaction score
I use dreamweaver CS3. What I did was set up a local files system to edit files and then checked files in/out using ftp. To do this create a new site in dreamweaver select edit files locally and test remotely. X10hosting automatically sets up a default ftp for you. Use your username and password for your ftp and you should be able to check out, edit, and check in files. I didn't find this to be incredibly helpful because you can't test locally, but dreamweaver does do some nice code highlighting. Also, I apologize if there is an easier way to do this, as I am new to dreamweaver.

Archkronos

Reaction score
I use dreamweaver CS3. What I did was set up a local files system to edit files and then checked files in/out using ftp. To do this create a new site in dreamweaver select edit files locally and test remotely. X10hosting automatically sets up a default ftp for you. Use your username and password for your ftp and you should be able to check out, edit, and check in files. I didn't find this to be incredibly helpful because you can't test locally, but dreamweaver does do some nice code highlighting. Also, I apologize if there is an easier way to do this, as I am new to dreamweaver.

Although the functionality is not built into Dreamweaver, you could download Apache + PHP to run it on localhost, and do your trial and error there, or if you run XP professional or Vista (dont know what editions), you get IIS.

If you use IIS, you need the FastCGI plugin and PHP.