Write permissions to public_html Directory

ctyrd

Reaction score
On free shared hosting, how many people actually have write permission to an accounts public_html directory? If the service is in a server somewhere, and x10hosting is admin. giving user permission to an account holder. It seems to me someone (support rep) would have write permission to the user accounts root directory. So someone may have write permission to admin (x10hosting).

Just curious how that works. User - Group - World permissions (public_html permission - 750).

spacresx

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
its called chmod a file or directory.
files are generally 644 and folders are 755
in some cases yu need to use 777 although they say it isnt the safest.
you can google chmod to get more information.

ctyrd

Reaction score
its called chmod a file or directory.
files are generally 644 and folders are 755
in some cases yu need to use 777 although they say it isnt the safest.
you can google chmod to get more information.
You misunderstood the thread. A direct question, Someone with Admin permissions "COULD" logon and edit/add/delete files in the public_html directory. of a user account.

chmod is a command to change software access permissions and the special mode flags. Apache, LiteSpeed Web Server, DirectAdmin, cPanel, and the user, groups, world permissions. I am allowed to use the software to edit/add/delete files. Someone at x10 could. But how about x10s provider.

spacresx

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
does support staff have special permissions account holders do not.. simply yes.
are these special permissions available to normal users... no
public_html folders are handled with the permissions i described above. (chmod)

ctyrd

Reaction score
I am a client of x10hosting. x10hosting is a client of some company. It seems to me they would have "special permissions" over x10hosting. So all x10's clients also.

I'm not sure about that. I think that would be x10's support channel if x10 uses one.