You need to do better than this, x10

zetarpg

Reaction score
I've been juggling free hosts for a few years now. I've seen all of the errors, I've seen the attacks, and I've seen the problems free hosts keep repeating. And you guys have failed in so many things, I can't begin to count. But I'll try.

1. Your "support team." To have a support team that is 100% made up of volunteers is not productive in the slightest. Over half of the threads made in the Free Hosting support forum are not answered, and now everyone is reporting support tickets that are never responded to and automatically deleted (and, surprise surprise, mine just was). You need a real support team with people that are fully dedicated to helping out on x10, to make sure that all threads and support tickets are replied to. Even if they're duplicates, they need to be replied to (and closed, but at the very least replied to). And, as of right now, no one on your volunteer list meets that, judging from the amount of threads in the Free Hosting forum with 0 replies.

2. Your uptime. "99% guaranteed uptime" is a blatant lie, and I suggest you change it to 20%. In the past week: MySQL was completely offline, my website's domain was never set up, pages on servers took forever to load up, if at all, and, as I've actually noticed on x10 in the past couple of years, this is not something that just showed up. You have been having these problems for years.

3. Your response to issues. Do your server admins even view the Free Hosting forum at all, or do they rely on the word of mouth of your "volunteer support team?" If the latter is the case, then something needs to be changed right now. I'm viewing the Service Status page of the Account Portal, and the latest service announcement is talking about the Domains/DNS issues. You posted that one day ago, but these issues have been here for at least a week. You need to have a much faster response time than that.

4. Your registration process. This isn't much; it's something I just noticed when signing up for this account. The registration process on your home page is bugged and doesn't do anything.

5. Putting service announcements in the "News and Announcements" forum. You should be doing that.

I gained a lot of trust a couple of years ago from x10, even suggesting it to my family members for their hosting needs. But I am now moving hosts, no matter what your support volunteers say or how many maintenance upgrades you perform. The cold, hard truth is: you guys have failed to provide reliable free hosting.

terror

Reaction score
I've been juggling free hosts for a few years now. I've seen all of the errors, I've seen the attacks, and I've seen the problems free hosts keep repeating. And you guys have failed in so many things, I can't begin to count. But I'll try.

1. Your "support team." To have a support team that is 100% made up of volunteers is not productive in the slightest. Over half of the threads made in the Free Hosting support forum are not answered, and now everyone is reporting support tickets that are never responded to and automatically deleted (and, surprise surprise, mine just was). You need a real support team with people that are fully dedicated to helping out on x10, to make sure that all threads and support tickets are replied to. Even if they're duplicates, they need to be replied to (and closed, but at the very least replied to). And, as of right now, no one on your volunteer list meets that, judging from the amount of threads in the Free Hosting forum with 0 replies.

2. Your uptime. "99% guaranteed uptime" is a blatant lie

5. Putting service announcements in the "News and Announcements" forum. You should be doing that.

I gained a lot of trust a couple of years ago from x10, even suggesting it to my family members for their hosting needs. But I am now moving hosts, no matter what your support volunteers say or how many maintenance upgrades you perform. The cold, hard truth is: you guys have failed to provide reliable free hosting.

Amen.

smallmot

Reaction score
i have to agree, with everything you said and the only thing that has kept me here so far is that i like the file manager in the cpanel and the way they have the php setting setup. mainly 24M upload size. As of now i am hosting my site else ware as i cannot for the life of me add my domain as a add-on. my support ticket still wasn't even replied to so i closed it and made another one, hopefully this one will be seen. The problem is not with the support staff being volunteers but that there is not enough of them, when your ticket does get seen the problem is generally sorted out. I have also noticed how slow starka is, in fact it is painfully slow most of the time. And one more thing they could do is when they do maintenance to let us know a couple of days before so we know our sites will be offline and can do whatever we need to do.

drviolin

Reaction score
Could not agree more. Outages are frequent, as are "maintenance" and "upgrades", about which there is never a prior notice. If you cannot provide reliable free hosting, don't do it. It's that simple.

Jessica.C

Prime Account
Reaction score
to be honest I am starting to agree. I like x10 a lot but I'm really started to get frustrated.

Skizzerz

Contributors
Staff member
Contributors
Reaction score
1. The forums are not the official means of getting support. As such, only a few of our volunteers go there to help out. Our support ticket system does get every ticket replied to (eventually, although for some it might take way too long for a reply to be had), and we are constantly striving to improve response times. Please note however that many other free hosts do not offer any support to their free hosting customers whatsoever, so a "don't look the gift horse in the mouth" reference might be appropriate here.
2. We do not guarantee any uptime for our Free Hosting service, and nowhere on our site is any form of guaranteed uptime mentioned for Free Hosting (if you do find a spot somehow, let us know so we can correct it).
3. See #1. Official support is not handled via these forums. We also know about a lot more issues than is posted in our status page and News and Announcements forums, unfortunately there is often a lapse of communication between the server admins and the people who update said status page. I agree that this is an area that could use a lot of improvement.
4. Duly noted.
5. See #3.