Your Opinion on Mini Laptops?

stealth_thunder

Reaction score
As time passes by so quickly, technology been going more and more advanced...

Intel new processor chip called ATOM made basically for the market trends of mini - device such as laptops...

Here are the specification for these laptops

For MSI please go to this website
Code:
http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=prodtmpspec&prod_no=1474&maincat_no=135&cat2_no=582&cat3_no=#menu

For Asus please go to this website
Code:
http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=24&l2=0&l3=0&l4=0&model=2152&modelmenu=2

If you have to choose 2 laptops EEE PC 900 by Asus or Wind by MSI ?

Does battery duration of use affects your selections for either one of this laptops even if one of the specification is much better than the other ?

** Some informations...
For Asia countries as far as I know the MSI will not be providing the 6-cell battery therefore we will only get the 3-cell battery...

3-cell battery (Duration max time is : 2.5 hours )
6-cell battery (Duration max time is : 5 hours)

Zangetsu

Reaction score
As time passes by so quickly, technology been going more and more advanced...

Intel new processor chip called ATOM made basically for the market trends of mini - device such as laptops...

Here are the specification for these laptops

For MSI please go to this website
Code:
http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=prodtmpspec&prod_no=1474&maincat_no=135&cat2_no=582&cat3_no=#menu
For Asus please go to this website
Code:
http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=24&l2=0&l3=0&l4=0&model=2152&modelmenu=2
If you have to choose 2 laptops EEE PC 900 by Asus or Wind by MSI ?

Does battery duration of use affects your selections for either one of this laptops even if one of the specification is much better than the other ?

** Some informations...
For Asia countries as far as I know the MSI will not be providing the 6-cell battery therefore we will only get the 3-cell battery...

3-cell battery (Duration max time is : 2.5 hours )
6-cell battery (Duration max time is : 5 hours)

the atom processor is not designed for notebooks the atom CPU is "built for low power and designed specifically for a new wave of Mobile Internet Devices" the atom processor does not have enough processing power to run a normal notebook

componentwarehouse

Reaction score
Although, they do look very very good as a second computer, especially for travelling. If you kit it up with 3G then its a winner. Im thinking of getting the MSI Wind.

I like the cheapness of it too...

Alex

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
Good if you're on the go.. but I'm never on the go, so desktops are still where it's at!

Though if I had the choice of getting one for free, I would probably take the Eee as I've heard many people have done hardware mods to improve it

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
They're ideal is some ways because of their incredible portability, but they lack the power of their larger desktop / laptop alternatives.

They're not powerful enough to run newer Microsoft operating systems (i.e. resource hog Vista), and they're not particularly comfortable to work with for long periods of time.

I'd prefer a laptop or notebook myself, they're better for resource intensive applications and aren't all that big either.

Just my opinion, although I can see how they'd be useful for some people.

-Luke.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
They're OK, but again as mentioned above, not the fastests of things to be bringing around on, but hey, they'll speed up as they figure out how toi make more efficient chips.

VPmase

Reaction score
Mini laptops are useless unless you are a kid. And if you are a kid you'd break it quickly. They don't last long and they aren't nearly as fast as a normal laptop (let alone a PC). I would never get a mini-laptop. Hell I don't even think I'll get a laptop.

componentwarehouse

Reaction score
Mini laptops are useless unless you are a kid.

I would disagree with that, as if you are a kid, you will want to play a lot of games, so a mini laptop with their minimal graphics wouldnt be good for them.

I would say they are good as a second computer, if you have your main desktop at home that you use all the time, and you need something to reply to emails with when you go away.

Alex

stealth_thunder

Reaction score
Although, they do look very very good as a second computer, especially for travelling. If you kit it up with 3G then its a winner. Im thinking of getting the MSI Wind.

I like the cheapness of it too...

Alex

hi alex,

I do not think they will have a 3G at this current level of development for UMPC of the budget type... This is because there are many more UMPC product from different company like Dell, Asus, Msi for budget users.

If they range it up with a 3G it will be more expensive...

Currently the MSI Wind and ASUS have already launch their product... the

MSI Wind which is running with Intel Atom and EEE PC 901 also running of Intel Atom... which just launch this month on 3 June 2008... which is a battle between them...

The differences is within the prices and the batteries 3/6 cell battery... which most people are trying to compare would u pay for MSI which provide only 3 cell batteries or will you pay for Asus which provide a 6 cell batteries.... Plus the specification not much differences at all... basically the size of the storage and the type of hardware whether is it a SSD or hard disk.

componentwarehouse

Reaction score
Yes, you are correct about the 3G. When I said 'kit it up with 3G' I mean with a 3 or Vodaphone (UK phone networks) USB stick.

I have read the specs in great detail of both the Asus and MSI, and I think I like the MSI more. The Asus's battery life is slightly shorter, and MSI were planning a Wind with a 6 cell battery. Although I do like the SSD of the Asus. Choosing between the 2 is quite a difficult decision.

Alex

federico_casares

Reaction score
I think they're great to have a computer with you always... They're extremely light and portable, and have enough power to check emails, surf the web and do all the things you do 90% of the time... :)

I really want one!! :(

admael

Reaction score
I think mini laptops are the reason for portability. The ones made by Sony have elite battery life and ultra portability. I'm not talking about the UX series Vaios, I mean the TX series business class ultra portable notebooks!

I owned a few (upgraded every year) and they all served me well. 6-8 hrs battery life. You won't see basic with any notebook.

Zangetsu

Reaction score
not unless you have a huge battery on your notebook but who would want to walk around with a huge battery pack strapt to their backs ?

scottnj

Reaction score
OMG 1 Kg!!! That's freaking amazing. The only dumb thing is when you drop it. That is why I would never buy a mac book air. I would never trust myself with something that small

componentwarehouse

Reaction score
OMG 1 Kg!!! That's freaking amazing. The only dumb thing is when you drop it. That is why I would never buy a mac book air. I would never trust myself with something that small

It also, IMO, defeats the point of an ultra small laptop. I wouldnt feel happy taking something that cost me over £1,000 out and about. With one those Eee PCs or MSI Wind's, you could take it pretty much anywhere, and if you dropped it, got water in it or whatever, its not a huge loss, as a £1000 laptop would be.

Alex