[HTML] Load your site...Faster!

Conor

Reaction score
Optimise your graphics

Server-based compression software can optimise graphics on-the-fly, but good web designers like to reduce their GIF and JPEG files to optimal sizes before loading them onto the server.

Of course, JPEG files are already compressed, while the new JPEG standard -- JPEG2000 -- has been developed specifically to offer better compression based on the use of wavelet technology.

First generation JPEG files, however, can actually be halved in size without any noticeable loss of image quality. Often you can compress photographic based JPEG images in ratios of 10:1 or even 25:1 with very little loss of image quality. Screeshots and graphics tend to suffer more from compression.

Painting programs, such as Paint Shop Pro from Jasc Software or Adobe PhotoShop, have compression built-in, enabling you to see side-by-side comparisons of compressed and uncompressed images. Using this method it is easy to guess what level of compression will be acceptable -- which is one advantage of compressing images manually instead of relying on server-based systems. It is also very time-consuming if you are dealing with many images, unless you treat them in batch mode.

Also, try using different formats for different types of Graphics, e.g. jpeg or png24 for pictures, gif or PNG8 for buttons and sigs

Minimize the HEAD

Browsers interact with servers in discrete-sized packets. By minimizing the size of your page's HEAD, you can speed your content's initial display. The HEAD must be parsed before the rest of the page is rendered.

Conditional META Tags

To make the search engine spiders happy, while saving space for browsers visiting your site, you can use conditional SSI META tags.

PHP:
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>x10Hosting Forums</TITLE>
<!--#if expr="$HTTP_USER_AGENT = /^Mozilla/" --><!--#else -->
<META Name="keywords" Content="authoring web development web
design java script graphic design html tutorials javascript dynamic html
tutorial authoring tools free computer software web developers web page design
internet marketing dhtml xml site designer webmaster resource programming
reviews frames cgi perl open source scripts">

<META Name="description" Content="blablablabalbal">
<!--#endif -->
</HEAD>

Note if the server detects a "Mozilla" browser (Netscape, IE, or Opera in default mode) it displays no META tags, otherwise it does. Sharp-eyed readers will also note that these meta tags are too long. Try and limit yourself to 200 characters for meta tags.

Line Length

Browsers seem to like lines of 255 characters or less. Also, some HTML e-mail programs raise an overflow virus warning flag if your lines are too long, so it's best to stick with 200 characters or less for your META tags, and 255 for lines of HTML code.

There's no need to use commas to separate keywords, just use spaces as search engines ignore the commas.

There's lots of other stuff, too. Dreamweaver will optimise it for you, go to Commands > Optimise, and it will remove unnecessary tags.

Origin

Reaction score
Re: Load your site...Faster!

Good post :D I like the last part.

How do we increase your rep? :p

n4tec

Reaction score

i like the tutorial... I always use photoshop to compress my files..

have a great easter!!!

nforchange

Conor

Reaction score

Increase my reputation on the side bar. Click the smiley face

<------------------------

Thanks for the praise. I will try some more tuts later.

ironcross77

Reaction score

Thanks man. Can you suggest of any good free jpeg compression program ?

Conquester777

Reaction score

hmm... i once had a webpage, and it's whole file was one big line... over 255, times about 10. I didnt see any problems.

Conor

Reaction score

All the code was in one line?

Origin

Reaction score

Wow, must be hard modifying

Conquester777

Reaction score

well, i've been around html code so long, that it actually didn't make it harder at all. in fact it's kinda easier, cause all the tabs/spaces, and line breaks, are the same through-out! :D