Need to get to the bottom of a certain .php file on my site account; help, please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcmmsagh

Reaction score
Can one of the X10Hosting admins assist me on this matter as well, please?

The case is this: on the site hosted under my account in question, whenever one of my site's pages via the blog system I have installed sees about loading the specified file called "phpinfoframe.php" (technically to see about displaying the PHP info itself), I am running into the 403 Forbidden error saying that I don't have the necessary permissions to access said file in question. It's really baffling to me; can someone on the hosting admin end help me get to the bottom as to what's the culprit behind this matter as well?

Any legitimate response would be greatly appreciated so that I can get this crossed off my to-do list for my site. Thanks again so much in advance.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
You're not allowed to run the phpinfo() command on the system; it reveals too much information that would be useful to hackers, crackers and other evil-doers.

mcmmsagh

Reaction score
Wait, so let me get this straight - in terms of the servers here (especially the "free hosting servers") - any actions that the blog system that I have installed for my site which the servers do not allow during "processing"... end up in 403 Forbidden errors?! Because if I'm understanding you in this case, that means even though it's a legitimate security reason, any action from the backend of the blog system that I've installed that tries to call on a certain action that's deemed "restricted", ends up in my running into the 403 error.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Pretty much, yes, although you may occasionally see a 406 (no suitable representation) as well. And it is just the Free Hosting servers; you can pretty much disable security and see the raw errors on the Premium servers (though it's not especially a good idea in production), and with a VPS, you're the boss. Keep in mind that there's nothing to lose on a Free Hosting account (all you need is an email address) so there's little disincentive besides the hard security wall for people to set up abusive accounts, and that there is limited staff support for a large population of people, many of whom haven't a clue what they're doing. Free Hosting is not a trial for or representative of the paid hosting services; there's obviously some hope that account holders will outgrow a Free Hosting account, but no-one is holding anybody's three-visitor cat blog ransom or anything. It's all about keeping the Free Hosting servers off of blacklists and blocklists and maintaining maximum uptime at minimum cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.