[PS] Im/Exporting and Backing up PhotoShop brushes

diabolo

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
A lot of people seem to lose their brushes when either they transfer computers or someone accidentally deletes them. And if ever a case of either those two happen to me, I would have to download years of brushes again....(I don't even remember where I got half of them)

Before we start, make sure you have PhotoShop, and a brush packet that you have not installed yet. You can download some brushes from DeviantArt.com

1. Select the brush tool.
2. At the Brush Options, select the drop-down arrow next to you brush; on to the far right there is another arrow point to the right, select that. (Picture1)(Picture2)

TO IMPORT

3. You want to open up the Preset Manager. Select load. (Picture3)(Picture4)
4. You will open up the Brushes folder in the Preset folder in your PhotoShop installation directory, if you have your .abr file (brush packet) in a different directory, go there. I am going to import Metal-CX's Sparkle Brushes, you can import what ever brushes you want to.
5. Hit Load, and you're done!

EDIT: haha I found away, guys I'll be back with how to Export the Brushes!

ARGG...x10 only allows 5 uploads..and I have six pictures..I'll come back later with a way to fix the sixth.

To make the guide unobstructed with pictures, I have included them in the attachments. Well that is not the real reason but let's believe it is. xD

Attachments

• picture1.jpg
    picture1.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 60
  • picture2.jpg
    picture2.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 42
  • picture3.jpg
    picture3.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 82
  • picture4.jpg
    picture4.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 237

diabolo

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
ahh I told you guys I'll be back

TO EXPORT

3. You want to open up the Preset Manager. Select the first brush you would like to export, and then Ctrl+Click all the ones you want to export. OR if you are backing up your whole brushes, select the first one, and Shift-Click the last one. All the brushes that are select should have a dark black border around them. (Picture5)
4. Now hit the Save Set button. And I created a file called 'all.abr'( I always save to this after I import a new one.) And you're done! (Picture6)

if any Mods find this to be double posting, just tell me and I will do my best to try and reformat my post; but I had atleast a paragraph of writing..so it shouldn't count. Just ignore the time span between the post too. xD

Attachments

• picture5.jpg
    picture5.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 135
  • picture6.jpg
    picture6.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 45
Last edited: