Sql for noobs

peacesam

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there's a software that will allow you to master your sql skills? I want to master my sql before I jump into installing unix, ingres, and database so that i can start practicing sql.

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
Click on MySQL databases.
Create a database and a user.
Back to control panel
Under 'Databases' click on phpMyAdmin
Choose the db you just created
Click on SQL link/icon
Experiment.

Noticed you are going to use ingres. Why not postgres?
There are similar tools on the control panel for postgres.

Lastly, you can download Windows version of MySQL (and I assume postgres) for free if you want to experiment on your own computer. You do not need *nix.

Last edited:

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
He asked for a program/place/way to practice his SQL.

Do any of those tutorials that Google returns have an area to practice on an actual database?

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
As always, one of the first resources a web developer or programmer should go check is w3schools. W3schools offers a quite good tutorial on SQL, perfect for the beginner and the expert.

misson

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
The following websites all have interactive tutorials (including the already mentioned W3Schools) that let you run queries. You can also try your own queries on their databases.

I believe they only let you play with the Data Manipulation Language (DML) portion of SQL. What is DML? It's basically the SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE and DELETE statements. It's the part of SQL that lets you manipulate table rows, as opposed to the Data Definition Language (DDL: the CREATE ALTER and DROP statements), which lets you define the models (tables, databases, views) themselves.

If you want full to play with DDL (and you do), you'll need to install an SQL DBMS (database management system), such as MySQL. While you're at it, install the MySQL GUI tools. You should probably skip MySQL Workbench as you're practicing SQL, though it may be useful to study the tables you create and (alternatively) to study the SQL statements corresponding to the tables it creates.

peacesam

Reaction score
ooooo thank you guys....i've tried learning it from the sql on this control panel but i couldn't get any further...at work here we do use alot of sql to manage databases but i can't afford to mess around with them and screw up my paycheck..

W3schools is really helpful

Last edited: