web pages not correct

bohemia2

Reaction score
hi,
i am new....
i uploaded all my files....html, .css, and all photos into the public html folder..not the cgi folder .is that correct? and when i look at the .html file its sort of there but missing background color and all text styles
here is the top of the page
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href=bohemian retreat.css" media="screen" title="style (screen)" />
<title>BOHEMIAN RETREAT accomadation</title>

is there some link missing back to the .css file.
thx

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
Code:
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="BOHEMIAN RETREAT.CSS" media="screen" title="style (screen)" />

is what I see. But I think the file name is actually all lower case.

1. FOO.CSS is not the same as foo.css -- file names on most servers are case sensitive. Try to keep all your file and directory names lower case

2. Avoid spaces in file and directory names. Instead of "file one.css" use "file_one.css"

3. #1 and #2 are probably because you used a Windows product to design the site. Windows is like that.

bohemia2

Reaction score
thanks seems to have worked but what a nitemare to get it to work...also why is it that if i try to open up (double click) the file" home.html" from file manager with firefox,it shows it wrong,,no pics but if i open it from x10 basic main page "my website" it works ok? and what are these annoying green underlined words with pop ups?
now that its on this site what do i need to do to get it searchable ?
thanks i really appreciate your help,,,is there some sort of document that someone has written to make all this slightly understandable and is there an advantage in using an ftp.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Those "annoying green underlined words with pop ups" is an advertising script running on your page. x10Hosting doesn't add any scripts to your page at all, so either (1) it's part of a JavaScript file or ad snippet that you have included on your page; (2) your account has been compromised; or (3) your browser is running a user script that you may not have noticed because it was never running on YOUR page before.

The file manager is precisely that — a file manager. It's not intended to be a web page launcher. Note that the URLs to your files are being accessed from

Code:
<your_server>.x10hosting.com:2083/<your_cPanel_session>/frontend/x10x3/filemanager/...

That is not your web (sub)domain, through which people will be looking at your web pages. Unless all of your links and sources are absolute (that is, only if they start with "http://yoursubdomain.example.com/") they will be pointing to a place other than where your files actually live. And you won't be using the web server either (the web server is a program called Litespeed Web Server, not the actual computer that runs it), so PHP files won't be processed and run, they'll (most likely) just download to your computer as if you had used right-click and "Save As".

I know that all of this can be somewhat frustrating for a newbie. There is a distinct difference between working on your own local computer and working with remote files (in various different ways, all of which have their own quirks) using URLs and internet protocols and different operating systems. If everything was completely different, like the difference between Chinese and English, it would probably be easier. It's the "close but not close enough" that can make it hard at first to figure out what works where and why. Just keep asking questions when you run into problems, and you'll get there eventually.