Would my free account's mysql server be able to handle a million records?

Status
Not open for further replies.

intlx10m

Reaction score
I have an huge database consisting of ~1.3 Million Records basically consisting of only text and numbers. I just wanted to know if free accounts are allowed to insert in such amounts of records into MYSQL server. I have gone through ToS but i didn't come across anything related to MYSQL. I am just 16 and a beginner (MYSQL and PHP) of course, i wanted to know if this in any way would come under server usage (file storage) as stated in ToS. As far as i am concerned i am not hosting any huge amounts of files all i am doing is using mysql database by storing in only text and numbers thereby, I guess I'm not violating ToS. Also i wanted to know if this in anyway would come under High Resource Usage Policy. I know this will consume in a lot of resources and will eventually result in slow speed while fetching table. The thing is that I don't want to jeopardize the status of my account in anyway. I presently am hosting around ~26000 records and i am perfectly happy with the way my php application is working. I further want to update those 26K records to 1 million records. I know that an immediate reply would be to upgrade to X10Premium, the thing is that i am a bit low on budget. I guess thats something which i need to ask mom and dad. Would really love if someone would give in a accurate response.

Last edited:

Skizzerz

Contributors
Staff member
Contributors
Reaction score
Your main two issues with 1.3M records would be disk space and CPU usage when performing lookups. There is no solution for the first one except for "don't have that much stuff in the db" -- even if you have unmetered disk space you can still be suspended for using more than a fair share of disk space, and a 20 GB mysql database would certainly qualify for that. For comparison's sake, if each row in the table was 100 bytes, you'd be looking at 130,000,000 bytes, or 130 MB of usage, so it largely varies based on how big your rows actually are.

For speed/cpu, you should add indexes to the things you are looking up frequently to avoid running into issues there. The moment you're doing a full table scan is when your site performance will tank, and our automated processes may end up restricting your max cpu usage making it even slower from then on out.

EDIT: Also, keep in mind that everything on your account, including data in your databases, must be directly relevant to your website. If you're offloading a ton of records for some unrelated data processing task, that would be against ToS as well (and besides, you could probably just install mysql on your home computer and do it there...)

Status
Not open for further replies.