SohailTech is Back

Sohail

Reaction score
SohailTech is finally back! Have a look here - http://sohailtech.com/ You may notice that we are still using the old template on the forums and the blog and hosting sites' templates need changing too but we're working on it. Please tell me what you think of the new template :).

Thanks,

Sohail Amir.

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
I like it, as always. I'd like to see a mobile version of the homepage tough, because my iPod doesn't suppport flash :(.
Nice job!

Sohail

Reaction score
The menu isn't Flash it's AJAX, yeah that's a great idea thanks!! :D

leafypiggy

Staff member
Reaction score
The site must have been cached in my computer, the old flash site was still being displayed.

I do like the new site. ;)

I am also a web designer :) my site is coming out soon and as is a new theme for my blog. :)

Great job.

JuniorD

Reaction score
I am a critic. I remember your hiring me at one time, so I will try not to be soft. Personally, multicolor backgrounds are a big no-no. May be pretty for the unrelated passerby, but for professionals or beginners who have an eye may be repelled, and this is your main crowd. Also, the Sohail Tech logo seems a bit plain against the complex-web 2.0 layout. Try adding in some pretty awesome custom effects, rather then a outer glow, a black 1px or 2 px outline, etc. Throw in some in text images with a bit of gloss or whatnot. This is coming from a guy who has reviewed as much as his post count. (No seriously, all I really did for my post count) Anyways, good site. The AJAX is much "sexier" then the Flash. Smooth and attractive. Also, beeping is not a cool thing to throw into your site, like you did with your flash template. Always come up with a sound everyone will enjoy hearing, and if they have their volume up on high, it won't blow their ears out (happened to me). Anyways, good luck with the new site.

-JuniorD, ExchangeCore Leader of Graphic's Services and Designs and Junior Administrator

Last edited:

Sohail

Reaction score
It's actually a very effective background, in web 2.0 it's better to stick to a few colours and keep the it's simple, I have seen many similar sites with this kind of effect and are very popular I kept the simple layout and colour scheme. I think the logo is alright because I have kept it simple, adding in all these effects not only makes it complicated but makes it look bad too and I know this from experience. About the sound it's not really needed as it's a simple portfolio.

Thanks for your review anyway.

leafypiggy

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree, it is very web 2.0 and catches my eye very well.

Your site is almost exactly like what I'm planning to turn mine into :)

I think that everything looks great.

JuniorD

Reaction score
It's actually a very effective background, in web 2.0 it's better to stick to a few colours and keep the it's simple, I have seen many similar sites with this kind of effect and are very popular I kept the simple layout and colour scheme. I think the logo is alright because I have kept it simple, adding in all these effects not only makes it complicated but makes it look bad too and I know this from experience. About the sound it's not really needed as it's a simple portfolio.

Thanks for your review anyway.

Depends if you use it effectively or not. Right now I have a template moving on with special effects and web 2.0 only. It is in a closed beta, and only a few are allowed to look at 'er. Confidentiality is very important. :p

Sohail

Reaction score
There's a lot more more stuff people don't know about web 2.0 ;).

leafypiggy

Staff member
Reaction score
You can say that again, I know that basics, but I'm still a beginner.

b0dyr0ck2006

Reaction score
I love the home page, all very snazzy and cool, then you move on to the other pages and they let you down straight away. You should keep the web 2.0 running through the whole site. I dont agree with JuniorD here, you need to keep it simple but effective. Too many effects and such and it will be a big turn off. People dont like show off's after all. LOL

leafypiggy

Staff member
Reaction score
The First Post in the topic said:
You may notice that we are still using the old template on the forums and the blog and hosting sites' templates need changing too but we're working on it.

Read the posts maybe?

Parsa44

Reaction score
The hosting button in your menu takes me to a tottaly diffrent page than the one in your blog post.

Sort that out and its a nice website

Sohail

Reaction score
Everything's working properly now so there shouldn't be any problems, all links and templates are working on all sites :).

dyreplus

Reaction score
I'm going to have to disagree with JuniorD about the multicoloured background. Having all those colours there really offsets the sleek look of the content. However, I WILL agree with him about the logo, though. Part of it is the font or spacing of "Sohail" (the i and l so close together, specifically). You may be alright with just a smaller glow on the font (5px radius max), but it really is lacking the gloss of everything else. There are styles in Photoshop (Text Effects or Text Effects 2, I think) called glass... tweak those a bit and I think it'll probably look great. :D

One more suggestion: The menu is totally sweet, but some sort of background for it might be a good idea (transparent, round-cornered black box? (obviously changing the hover effect to some colour or something)) to set off the navigation text from the busy background. You may be able to get away with just bolding the navigation text.

(just for supplemental info: I've got a BA in art, so I have colour theory and some design under my belt.)

Last edited: